TRACES : Request for TDS Refund Form 26QB

author portrait

Sakshi Shah

Form 26QB
TDS Refund
Last updated on April 27th, 2021

TRACES means TDS Reconciliation Analysis and Correction Enabling System. It is the online portal for administration and implementation of TDS (Tax Deducted at Source) and TCS (Tax Collected at Source). If a Taxpayer has deposited excess TDS in Form 26QB, he/she can request for refund on TRACES for the Financial Year 2013-14 onwards. The Taxpayer can submit a request for refund for 26QB on TRACES if he/she meets the following criteria:

File your TDS return
Need help filing your TDS returns? Let the experts handle it!
[Rated 4.8 stars by customers like you]
File your TDS return
Need help filing your TDS returns? Let the experts handle it!
[Rated 4.8 stars by customers like you]

Steps to submit TDS Refund Request for 26QB on TRACES

  1. Log in to TRACES

    Log in to TRACES – Enter User Id, Password, PAN and captchaTRACES - Login Page for Taxpayers

  2. Navigate to request for refund

    Go to Statements / Forms > Request for Refund. Ensure that all the details filled in 26QB are true and correct since correction request cannot be submitted after submitting a request for refundTRACES - Request for Refund 26QB - Navigate

  3. Refund checklist

    Review the Refund Checklist and click on ProceedTRACES - Request for Refund 26QB - Review Checklist

  4. Add challan

    Select one of the reasons and click on ‘Add ChallanTRACES - Request for Refund 26QB - Select Reason

  5. Enter the reason for refund

    Enter the reason for refund in the comment box. Maximum characters allowed are 5000. Only alphabets, numbers and special characters like space, single quotes, &, double quotes, comma, ; , and . are allowedTRACES - Request for Refund 26QB - Enter Comments

  6. Enter the challan details

    Enter Challan Details below. Click on ‘View Challan Details’
    1. Assessment Year – Select from the drop-down list
    2. BSR Code
    3. The date on which tax is deposited – enter in dd-mm-yyyy format eg: 10-Jan-2019
    4. Challan Serial Number – 5 digit number eg: 00025
    5. Challan Amount – enter the amount with decimal places eg: 1569.00
    6. Acknowledgment NumberTRACES - Request for Refund 26QB - Enter Challan Details

  7. Challan consumption details

    Check the Challan Consumption Details to check if the challan is consumed in any TDS statement. The amount of maximum refund allowed will appear. if you agree to the declaration, select the checkbox and click on ‘I Agree‘. If you disagree to the declaration, click on ‘I Disagree‘. You can either add another challan or move back to the challan detail page to accept the declaration.TRACES - Request for Refund - Challan Consumption Details

  8. Add challan

    Review the details of the added challan. Click on ‘Add Challan‘ to add more challans. You can add a maximum of 5 challans. To remove a challan, select a row and click on ‘Remove Challan‘. To Continue, click on ‘ProceedTRACES - Request for Refund 26QB - Add or Remove Challan

  9. Enter the required details

    The Taxpayer Details and Communication Address will be auto-populated. Enter the Bank Details as below. If you want to enter bank details as per the previous refund request, select the checkbox. Click on Proceed.
    1. Bank Name
    2. Bank Account Number
    3. IFSC Code
    4. Type of AccountTRACES - Request for Refund 26QB - Add Bank Details

  10. Authorised person

    On the Verification Page, verify the details of Authorised Person and click on ‘Proceed’TRACES - Request for Refund - Verify Authorised Person details

  11. Confirmation page

    On the Confirmation Page, verify the details of challan, deductor, communication address, and, bank details. Click on ‘Submit Refund RequestTRACES - Request for Refund - Confirmation Page

  12. Validate 26QB refund request

    Choose DSC to validate 26QB Refund Request. Click on ‘Proceed

  13. Success message

    A success message will appear on the screen. Click on ‘Preview and Print Form 26B Acknowledgment’. You need to submit Form 26B Acknowledgement and required documents within 14 days to the Assessing Officer. If you fail to submit, the refund request is rejected.TRACES - Request for Refund - Success message

DSC Application for Residents
Expert Assisted Class II Digital Signature Certificate(DSC) Application for Residents.
[Rated 4.8 stars by customers like you]
DSC Application for Residents
Expert Assisted Class II Digital Signature Certificate(DSC) Application for Residents.
[Rated 4.8 stars by customers like you]

Steps to Track TDS Refund Request on TRACES

Step 1: Log in to TRACES – Enter User Id, Password, TAN or PAN and captcha

Step 2: Go to Statements / Payments > Track Refund Request

Step 3: Search the request using either of these options:

Step 4: Any of the below Refund Status will appear on the screen:


What is the reason for rejection of my Refund Request on TRACES?

1. Invalid bank details or invalid address details
2. There is an outstanding demand / manual demand raised by
3. Assessing Officer against TAN or PAN of the deductor
4. There is a challan correction for which refund request is raised
5. Form 26B Acknowledgement is submitted after the expiry of 14 days
6. In case a request is more than 1 Lac, it should be approved by
7. Additional Commissioner. It can be rejected by Additional Commissioner
8. If there is a reduction in challan available balance
9. If there is a challan force matching by Assessing Officer in progress

I have submitted Form 26B to the Assessing Officer. How can I track the status of TDS Refund Request on TRACES?

A Deductor can track the status of his TDS Refund Request from his account using the service of ‘Track Refund Request‘ under the tab ‘Statements / Payments’. Here are the types of request status:
1. Pending with AO TDS – TDS Refund Request is submitted for approval of the Assessing Officer (A.O.)
2. Pending with TDS-CPC – TDS Refund Request is approved by the Assessing Officer (A.O.)
3. Pending with Refund Banker – TDS Refund Request is pending with the Bank

What is the minimum TDS refund amount that can be claimed under ‘Request for Refund’ and what is the maximum limit?

A Deductor can submit a Request for TDS Refund on TRACES if the available amount is greater than Rs.100/- per challan. There is no maximum limit to claim the refund.

Got Questions? Ask Away!

  1. Hey @HarishMehta

    Taxpayers or deductee cannot directly download form 16/form16A, the option to download Form 16/ 16A has been given to the Deductor. So, if you need Form 16 / 16A for TDS deducted by your current or previous employer or deductor you will have to contact them for the same. There is no option available on TRACES whereby you can download it yourself.

    Hope this helps!

  2. Hey @Dia_malhotra

    Yes, individuals can still register as a taxpayer on TRACES even if they do not have TAN of the deductor by providing:

    • Assessment Year
    • Challan Serial Number and
    • Amount of tax you have paid

    Hope this helps!

  3. Avatar for saad saad says:

    In my Justification Report it shows an interest payable error whereas I’ve already paid the interest for that particular month According to the regulations what could be the reason for this?

  4. Hi @saad,

    According to regulations, interest payment default/errors may arise due to error in challan details , short deduction, short payment, late deposit of TDS amount. Here, you can file correction statement and revise the return.

    Hope this helps!

  5. The USB e-pass 2003 token device is particular type of a DSC.

  6. Hi @nisshant

    26QB is the challan cum return statement. As soon as you file the form, TDS amount paid by you gets utilized. There are few corrections that are allowed in form 26QB. You can refer to the article below. You cannot get the refund of the taxes paid through an online method. You can contact concerned Assessing Officer (AO) of the Income Tax Department (ITD).

    You can also contact Aaykar Sampark Kendra (ASK) on Toll Free No. 1800-180-1961 to ask for help.

    Hope this helps!

Continue the conversation on TaxQ&A

5 more replies