IT Portal 2.0

IT Portal 2.0

Check out the latest videos explaining the various features of the new portal

How to raise a Grievance and submit a Request for Resolution on TRACES ?

author portrait

Sakshi Shah

Grievance Types
Tracking Grievance

TRACES means TDS Reconciliation Analysis and Correction Enabling System. It is the online portal for administration and implementation of TDS (Tax Deducted at Source) and TCS (Tax Collected at Source). If you want to report a complaint or file a grievance related to the TRACES Portal, you can submit a ‘Request for Resolution‘ to report a complaint or file a grievance. To avail of this service, it is mandatory to register on TRACES. A Request for Resolution can be raised from FY 2007-08 onwards. The Deductor can upload the relevant documents along with the query.

Steps to Submit a Request for Grievance Resolution on TRACES

  1. Log in to TRACES

    Log in to TRACES – Enter User Id, Password, TAN or PAN and captchaTRACES - Login Page for Taxpayers

  2. Navigate to Request for resolution

    Additionally, go to Communications > Request for ResolutionTRACES - Request for Resolution Navigate

  3. Request category

    Thus, select the reason from the drop-down of Request Category. Eg: Statement Status, Tax Certificate Form 16 / Form 16A, Justification Report, Conso File, PAN Verification, Form 26AS, Intimation, etc.TRACES - Select Request Category

  4. Attach supporting documents

    Moreover, enter the required details – Financial Year, Quarter, Form Type, Token Number, and Issue. Thus, add the description of the grievance under Comments. Attach supporting documents. Click on Submit.
    Note: Enter the details of the latest TDS return or TDS correction return filed
    TRACES - Request for Resolution - details, comments, documents

  5. Unique Ticket Number

    Therefore, once you submit the request, a confirmation message with a unique Ticket Number appears on the screen
    1. Please attach the supporting documents in .doc, .docx, .xls, .xlsx, .pdf, .zip format only
    2. The file size of the document should not be more than 2 MB
    3. It is mandatory to either enter comments or attach supporting documentsTRACES - Request for Resolution - Ticket Number

Steps to track ticket number of Request for Resolution on TRACES

Step 1: Log in to TRACES – Enter User Id, Password, TAN or PAN and captcha


Step 2: Go to Communications > Resolution Tracking

TRACES - Tracking Resolution - Communications

Step 3: Search the status of the ticket using Ticket Number or Ticket Creation Date

TRACES - Tracking Resolution - Search using Ticket Number or Date

Step 4: The ticket summary will appear on the screen. Select the specific ticket number and click on ‘View Ticket Details

TRACES - Tracking Resolution - View Ticket Details

Step 5: If the status of the ticket is ‘Closed’, you can click on ‘Reopen Request‘ to reopen the ticket. If the status of the ticket is ‘Clarification Requested’, you can click on ‘Provide Clarification‘ to enter your clarification

You can re-open the ticket within 14 days once the ticket is closed
You can re-open the ticket within 14 days once the ticket is closed
TRACES - Tracking Resolution - Reopen Request or Provide Clarification


What are the different ‘Ticket Status’ of Request for Resolution on TRACES?

1. Open – Ticket is with TDS CPC and will be responded within the prescribed time
2. In-Progress – Ticket has been picked up by TDS CPC and is under resolution
3. Clarification Requested – When TDS CPC has requested a clarification from the deductor. You can provide clarification within 7 calendar days
4. Closed – TDS CPC has resolved the ticket. Deductor can reopen the ticket within 14 working days of closure of ticket
5. Re-opened – Deductor has reopened a ‘Closed’ ticket. Deductor can reopen the ticket within 14 working days of closure of ticket

What are the features of the TRACES portal?

1. Summary of deductor’s account
2. Online registration of TAN (Tax Deduction and Collection Account Number)
3. Online filing of TDS statements
4. Online correction of TDS statements
5. Default Resolution
6. Viewing Form 26AS
7. Grievance registration and resolution  

Got Questions? Ask Away!

  1. Hey @HarishMehta

    Taxpayers or deductee cannot directly download form 16/form16A, the option to download Form 16/ 16A has been given to the Deductor. So, if you need Form 16 / 16A for TDS deducted by your current or previous employer or deductor you will have to contact them for the same. There is no option available on TRACES whereby you can download it yourself.

    Hope this helps!

  2. Hey @Dia_malhotra

    Yes, individuals can still register as a taxpayer on TRACES even if they do not have TAN of the deductor by providing:

    • Assessment Year
    • Challan Serial Number and
    • Amount of tax you have paid

    Hope this helps!

  3. Avatar for saad saad says:

    In my Justification Report it shows an interest payable error whereas I’ve already paid the interest for that particular month According to the regulations what could be the reason for this?

  4. Hi @saad,

    According to regulations, interest payment default/errors may arise due to error in challan details , short deduction, short payment, late deposit of TDS amount. Here, you can file correction statement and revise the return.

    Hope this helps!

Continue the conversation on TaxQ&A

1 more reply