Section 80GG: Deduction for Rent Paid

author portrait

Bharti Vasvani

Chapter VI-A
Form 10BA
Section 80GG
Last updated on January 18th, 2024

Renting a house in big cities can be challenging, especially with the constantly increasing prices. If you receive a House Rent Allowance (HRA) from your job or own a house in the city, that’s convenient. However, for those who have to rent without HRA, the costs can significantly burden their finances. Hence, to ease the burden of high rent, the income tax department allows a deduction for rent paid under section 80GG, providing financial relief.

Section 80GG

Section 80GG of the Income Tax Act allows individuals a deduction for rent paid for furnished or unfurnished accommodation. The deduction is allowed to taxpayers who do not receive HRA as a component of the salary from their employer. However, there are certain conditions, if the taxpayer fulfills all such conditions then they are allowed to claim a deduction under this section.

Conditions to claim a deduction u/s 80GG

Deduction under section 80GG of Income Tax Act can not be claimed against short term capital gains u/s 111A , long term capital gains and income chargeable to tax at special rates.
Deduction under section 80GG of Income Tax Act can not be claimed against short term capital gains u/s 111A , long term capital gains and income chargeable to tax at special rates.

Deduction limit u/s 80GG

The allowable deduction under this section will be the least of the following:

Note: Total income for this section means Gross total income less all deductions under chapter VI-A (except 80GG).

Calculation of deduction amount u/s 80GG

Let’s understand the calculation with an example:
Sharad is a salaried individual who does not receive HRA from his employer and lives in rented premises in Bangalore. Sharad pays INR 20,000 per month as rent for a year and his total income is INR 12,00,000. Neither Sharad nor his wife owns any residential property in Bangalore or at any other place.

In the above case, Sharad will be eligible to claim a deduction under section 80GG even though he is a salaried individual. The deduction will be the lowest of the following:

  1. INR 1,20,000 (INR 20,000*12 months – 10% of INR 12,00,000)
  2. INR 3,00,000 (25% of INR 12,00,000)
  3. INR 60,000 (INR 5,000*12 months)    

Therefore, Sharad can claim a deduction of INR 60,000 for rent paid by him during the year provided he files Form 10BA first.

Exceptions to Section 80GG

With respect to claiming deductions under this section, there are certain exceptions that one needs to take care of:

ITR Form Applicable for Section 80GG

The taxpayer can claim deductions u/s 80GG while filing ITR by fulfilling the above conditions. Individuals can claim 80GG in any of the ITR forms, i.e., ITR 1ITR 2ITR 3, and ITR 4 depending upon their income sources.

Form 10BA

Form 10BA is the declaration to be filed for claiming the deduction under section 80GG. In this form, the taxpayer needs to declare that they are not claiming the benefit of a self-occupied property on the house in any other location or the same location as they are employed.

Supporting Documents

Apart from the usual documents like Form 16 and PAN, you will need the following documents to file Form 10BA:


Can I claim a deduction u/s 80GG if I own a residential house?

No. You cannot claim deduction under section 80GG if you or your spouse or children own a house property at your ordinary place of residence or office or employment and if you own a house property anywhere in India.

Can I claim a deduction u/s 80GG even if I’m Self-employed?

Yes, you can claim a deduction for rent paid up to INR 60,000 even if you are self-employed provided all conditions are satisfied.

Who can claim a deduction u/s 80GG?

Only an individual can claim a deduction for rent paid under this section.

Can I claim 80GG along with my HRA?

No, deduction under section 80GG is only available to individuals who do not get House Rent Allowance (HRA) as a Salary component.

Can I claim 80GG in the new tax regime?

No, section 80GG is part of Chapter VI-A. The New Income Tax regime doesn’t allow any exemptions under Chapter VI-A. Hence, you cannot claim a deduction under section 80GG.

Got Questions? Ask Away!

  1. Hey @sushil_verma

    There are a wide range of deductions that you can claim. Apart from Section 80C tax deductions, you could claim deductions up to INR 25,000 (INR 50,000 for Senior Citizens) buying Mediclaim u/s 80D. You can claim a deduction of INR 50,000 on home loan interest under Section 80EE.

  2. Hey @Dia_malhotra , there are many deductions that you can avail of. Your salary package may include different allowances like House Rent Allowance (HRA), conveyance, transport allowance, medical reimbursement, etc. Additionally, some of these allowances are exempt up to a certain limit under section 10 of the Income Tax Act.

    For eg,

    • Medical allowance is exempt up to INR 15,000 on a reimbursement basis.
    • Children education allowance is exempt up to Rs. 200 per child per month up to a maximum of two children.
    • Conveyance allowance is exempt up to a maximum of Rs. 1600 per month.

    Tax on employment and entertainment allowance will also be allowed as a deduction from the salary income. Employment tax is deducted from your salary by your employer and then it is deposited to the state government.

  3. The benefit Section 80EEB can be claimed by individuals only. An individual taxpayer can claim interest on loan of an electric vehicle of up to INR 1.5 lacs u/s 80EEB. However, if the electric vehicle is used for the purpose of business, the vehicle should be reported as an asset, loan should be reported as a liability and the interest on loan can be claimed as a business expense irrespective of the amount. (We have updated the article with the changes).

    Thus, if you have a proprietorship business, you should claim interest amount as a business expense only if the vehicle is used for business purpose. However, if it is used for personal purpose, you can claim deduction of interest u/s 80EEB in your ITR since you would be reporting both personal and business income in the ITR (under your PAN).

    As per the Income Tax Act, the deduction under Section 80EEB is applicable from 1st April 2020 i.e. FY 2020-21.

  4. Hey @Sharath_thomas , we have updated the content according to the appropriate assessment year. Thanks for the feedback. :slight_smile:

  5. Hey @shindeonkar95

    In case of capital gain income (LTCG/STCG), transfer expenses are allowed as deduction, except STT.

    However, in case of business income (F&O, intraday), all expenses incurred for the business (including STT) are eligible to claim deduction in ITR.

    Hope, it helps!

  6. Hello,

    Is it possible to claim deductions under S. 80CCF for Infra bonds bought in the secondary market and held to maturity?

    There were a number of 10 year infra bonds issued in the 2010- 2013 period, which will start maturing soon. These are all listed on the exchanges (although hardly any liquidity or transactions in them). If I were to buy some of these bonds in the open markets and hold them in my demat to maturity (<3 years), is it possible to claim tax deductions (upto 20k per year) under 80CCF for buying?

    I couldn’t find anything on this. Any help is appreciated.

  7. Hello @Veejayy,

    Yes you can claim deduction under 80CCF for investment made in specified infrastructure and other tax saving bonds bought in the secondary market and held to maturity.

    Deduction under Section 80CCF can be availed only through investment in certain tax saving bonds, issued by banks or corporations after gaining permission from the government which shall be restricted upto 10,000 per year.

    These bonds are generally long term bonds, having tenure of more than 5 years with a lock in period of 5 years in most of the cases. These bonds can be sold after the lock in period!

    Also, interest earned on these bonds will be taxable.

    Hope this helps!

  8. Hi, I need to file my income tax for FY21, I am using Quicko platform for filing, I wanted to confirm if the ELSS investment amount for the FY21 is to be added in the section 80C, since I already the amount of Rs30,072 , should I add my ELSS amount to this existing amount and submit the total

Continue the conversation on TaxQ&A

89 more replies


Avatar for Yesha Avatar for sushil_verma Avatar for Sakshi_Shah1 Avatar for Maharshi_Shah Avatar for Disha_k Avatar for Shelly_Trivedi Avatar for Hiral_Vakil Avatar for yash_gohel Avatar for MONU_KR Avatar for Kaushal_Soni Avatar for pushpasooraj Avatar for Sreetama_Chakraborty Avatar for Veejayy Avatar for ztvusbqpvrco Avatar for Sharath_thomas Avatar for Bharti_Vasvani Avatar for sxgupta Avatar for Yash_Kaviya Avatar for khushboo_soni Avatar for mohan2170 Avatar for Amulya_Garg Avatar for Kaushik_Seetha Avatar for Shrutika_Shah Avatar for tax_payer