ITR Documents : Income from other sources

author portrait

Aakash (Quicko Customer Success Representative)

Form 26AS
Income Source
Income Tax Filing
Last updated on April 26th, 2021

Income from other source (IFOS) includes any income which is not taxed under the following Income heads:

  1. Salary Income
  2. Business and Profession income
  3. Capital gain Income
  4. House property Income

The Income From Other Source includes Bank Interests, Investment Interests, Dividend Income, Family Pension, Gifts, Royalty, etc.

ITR for Income from Other Sources (IFOS)
CA Assisted Income Tax Return filing for individuals having interest, provident fund and other income covered under the head IFOS.
[Rated 4.8 stars by customers like you]
ITR for Income from Other Sources (IFOS)
CA Assisted Income Tax Return filing for individuals having interest, provident fund and other income covered under the head IFOS.
[Rated 4.8 stars by customers like you]

Document Checklist for Income From Other Source


Income Tax Department (ITD) issues Permanent Account Number (PAN). It is an alphanumeric ID of a taxpayer who is liable to pay taxes. PAN enables the department to link all transactions of the “Person” with his “Income”. Hence it is the most essential document while filing ITR.


Aadhaar (Aadhaar Card) a 12 digit unique identification number issued by the UIDAI (Unique Identification Authority of India). It is mandatory for Resident Individuals to provide details of Aadhaar while filing ITR.

Form 26AS

Form 26AS is a consolidated Tax Credit Statement. It has the following details:

It is very important to check Form 26AS before e-filing the ITR. Since it has details of TDS deducted on Interest and Other Income by deductors.

31st July
ITR filing Due Date for taxpayers having Income From Other Source.
31st July
ITR filing Due Date for taxpayers having Income From Other Source.

Investment proofs

A taxpayer can claim the deduction of certain Investments and expenses while filing ITR. Investments proofs, Donation Receipts, Fixed Deposit Statement, etc are required to claim Chapter VI-A deductions. These investments reduce the net taxable income of a taxpayer.

Bank Statements

Bank Statement with IFOS transactions is an essential document to prepare ITR. It is important to look at bank statements to derive total income earned in the form of Interest, Dividend, Gift, etc.


What is Income from other sources?

Income from other sources is a residual income that cannot be taxed under other heads. It includes income from a savings bank account, Fixed deposits, Post office savings, Family pension, etc. It also includes any monetary/non-monetary gifts received by an individual.

What is the tax treatment of dividends received from a foreign company?

Dividend received from an Indian company is exempt from tax. However, Dividend received from a foreign company is taxable as “Income from other sources”. And you need to pay taxes at rates based on the income slab you fall under.

I have won a lottery of Rs 2 lakhs. Is this taxable?

Yes. When any individual receives any kind of lottery or price money it is taxable. It is converted under IFOS.

I have received Rs. 1,00,000 in cash from my father as a wedding gift. Is it taxable?

No. Gifts received on a wedding occasion is exempt from tax. Hence Rs, 1,00,000 will be exempted from tax. However, you should report the same while filing ITR.

What are the documents required to file ITR?

Following are the documents required to file ITR:
-Form 26AS
-Bank Account Details
-Tax Payment Challan
-Original Return (if filed)

Got Questions? Ask Away!

  1. Hey @TeamQuicko

    Thanks for the blog! Just one quick question - Why do we have to report a quarterly breakdown of Dividend Income under IFOS?

    Thank you!

  2. I had received dividend recently but I had noticed that TDS had been deducted. any idea as to why has it happened and is there a way I can claim this TDS?

  3. Hey @HarshitShah

    After the introduction of Budget 2020, dividend income is now taxable in the hands of the shareholder; and is also subject to TDS at 10% in excess of INR 5000 u/s 194 & 194K. Foreign Dividend is taxable at slab rates. TDS is not applicable to such dividends. The taxpayer should report such income under the head IFOS in the ITR filed on the Income Tax Website.

    Hope this helps!

  4. Hi @ameyj

    The amount of TDS deducted shall reflect in your Form 26AS only and it will also reflect the name of the deductor.
    Using the name of the deductor you can find out on which share you have received the dividend and you can also cross-check the same in your bank statement.

    Yes, you are right, TDS is to be deducted when the dividend paid exceeds 5000 INR in a financial year. However, the 5,000 INR limit pertains to all the dividends an individual gets in a year, or the total dividend per shareholder that a company pays out in a year, is left to interpretation, and hence registrars and share transfer agents (RTA) are not taking any chances and are deducting TDS even on small amounts.

    Hope this helps :slightly_smiling_face:

  5. Hi @TeamQuicko

    Consider that I have 10 shares each of 10 different Indian companies. Each of the 10 companies are declaring a dividend of INR 100 before the FY ends. Now I will be recieving 1000 as dividend from each company, thereby a total of 10,000.

    The 5,000 dividend limit, is it applicable to each company / total dividend recieved by me in a year. If it is applicable to each company, then I would not attract TDS of 10% for dividend.

    Also pl clarify, how would the company B know that I have got shares of Company A,C,D,E so on…

  6. Hey @TeamQuicko

    I tried to file ITR-3 via Quicko’s integration with Zerodha. While filing the ITR, I got an option to switch to the New Tax regime to save additional taxes.
    Since I had some turnover from intraday and FnO (speculative/ business), am I eligible to switch to the new regime through Quicko while filing?
    How do I fill the Form 10-IE? If I haven’t filled the form, would the portal preent me from filing returns altogether?
    Also, once I get rebate (if opted for new regime) / pay dues (if opted for old regime), do I need to go through the hassles of replicating it on the new ITR portal (i.e manually answering the schedule sections)?

    Kind regards

  7. Hi @ChinmayB,

    Yes, you can opt for the new tax regime. However, keep in mind in case a taxpayer has business income and they opt for the new tax regime, they can switch to the old tax regime only once.

    If you opt for the new tax regime, you need to file Form 10-IE before filing the ITR

    Here’s how you can file the Form 10-IE

    When filing your ITR through Quicko, you do not need to enter details on the new ITR portal, since Quicko is a ERI (e-return intermediary) registered with the Income Tax Department.

    Note: ITR filing will be enabled on Quicko in the coming week. So stay tuned for more exciting features!

  8. Thank you, @Nireka
    Will wait diligently for the new ITR updates :slight_smile:
    All my queries have been addressed. Looking forward to using and recommending Quicko to friends and family.

Continue the conversation on TaxQ&A

11 more replies