In case of refund failure, taxpayer can submit a refund reissue request on e-Filing portal upon receiving communication from CPC. The most common reasons for refund failure are:
- Incorrect bank details,
- A wrong address of a residence,
- Name mismatch with the bank account holder,
- Expired cheque or bank account closure.
Steps to Submit refund reissue request
- Visit Income Tax website
- Go to “My Account‘
Click on ‘Service Request“
- Select the appropriate options
Choose the Request type as ‘New Request’ and Request Category ‘Refund Reissue’ and click on submit.
- Select the Assessment Year
Choose the Assessment Year for which you wish to submit the request and click on ‘Submit’
- Enter the required details
Enter the bank account details, address details, and click on submit to complete request process.
It usually takes 3-4 weeks to receive the refund once you submit the request.
Non-receipt of the refund could be due to any of the following reasons:
1. ITR not processed yet: If your e-filed return is not processed yet, then refund will be issued once ITR is processed.
2. Return processed and no refund: If after the return is processed, if the income tax department determined no refund is due to you.
3. ITR processed but refund not reachable: If the refund is determined but the cheque/ ECS credit could not reach you. In that case, you need to submit a request for a reissue.
Any taxpayer to whom the refund is due can submit a request. Provided you have an account on the income tax e-filing website.
If your Refund status is ‘Refund Returned’ then you can submit a new request for a refund from your login on income tax e-filing website.
Yes, you can submit a request for a refund for the previous years as well. While submitting a request you need to select a relevant assessment year for which you wish to make a request.