MEET by Quicko

How to File a Condonation Request on the e-Filing Portal?

author portrait

Maharshi Shah

Condonation Request
e-Verify ITR
Income Tax Account
Income Tax Return
Last updated on April 7th, 2022

What is a Condonation Request?

The taxpayers have the option to raise a service request on the e-filing portal. The e-filing portal provides the following two options to the taxpayers with respect to filing a condonation request:

An individual has to verify the Income Tax Return (ITR) after filing it. The e-verification process of ITR should be complete within 120 days of filing. An ITR filed but not verified is treated as an invalid return by the Income Tax Department (ITD). An invalid return would mean that the taxpayer has not filed the ITR for a particular assessment year. In that case, the taxpayer has to file the ITR again.


Steps to File Condonation Request on e-Filing Portal for Delay in Submission of ITR-V

  1. Visit the e-Filing portal

    Visit the e-Filing Portal and login using valid - Login

  2. Select Condonation Request

    Click on Services > Condonation - Condonation Request Option

  3. Select the First Option

    Select the “Delay in Submission of ITR-V” - Delay in Submission of ITR-V Option

  4. New Condonation Request

    Once you move to the next page, click on the create new condonation request - Create New Condonation Request

  5. Select the appropriate record

    On the Select ITR page, select the record for which you want to raise a condonation request for delay in ITR-V submission and click - Select the Record

  6. Provide a reason

    On the Provide reason for delay page, select the reason of your delay and click - Select the Reason

  7. Success Message

    A success message along with a Transaction ID is displayed. Please keep a note of the Transaction ID for future reference. You will also receive a confirmation message on the email ID and mobile number registered with e-Filing - Success Message for Condonation Request

File Condonation Request for Filing ITR after Time-Barred - Allow ITR filing after time-barred option - Filing after time-barred - Create Condonation Rqeuest by Entering Details

After successful submission, select your preferred option on the e-Verify page. - eVerify Condonation Request


How will I know if my service requests have been approved?

You can see the status of the service requests in your dashboard. Navigate to the particular record where you can view the status of the approval.

Can anyone else submit request for condonation of delay / raise refund reissue request on my behalf?

Authorized signatory / Representative assessee / ERIs can submit requests for condonation of delay / raise a refund reissue request on behalf of the assessee.

Can ERIs raise a request for condonation of delay / raise refund reissue request?

Yes. ERIs can raise a request for condonation of delay / raise refund reissue request.

Is it certain that my condonation request will be accepted?

It is not certain that your request for condonation of delay will be approved. The ITR will be treated as invalid till the request is approved. Condonation of delay is at the discretion of the competent Income Tax Authority.

Is there a time limit to file condonation request?

As per the directions from CBDT vide Circular No. 9/2015 dt. 9-6-2015, no condonation request will be entertained beyond six years from the end of assessment year for which the request is raised. It should be noted that delays related to only genuine hardships are considered for approving any request for condonation of delay.

Got Questions? Ask Away!

  1. Hey @TeamQuicko

    Can you tell me about ITD’s new ITR filing utility for AY 2021-22?

  2. Hey @HarshitShah

    To improve the tax filing process, the Income Tax Department has decided to do away with the excel and java-based utility and has launched a new offline JSON-based utility for the AY 2021-22. The new utility will help taxpayers import prefilled data and edit it before filing the income tax return (ITR).

    The taxpayers can download the pre-filled data from the income tax e-filing portal and fill in the rest of the data. This imported prefilled data can be edited to change basic information such as address and all. Currently, the utility can be used to file ITR1 to ITR 4. ITD has also released a step-by-step guide to using the utility.

    Hope this helps! :slight_smile:

  3. Is it possible to file ITR online without an account on the Income Tax e-filing portal?

  4. What should be done in case of discrepancies in actual TDS and TDS credit under Form 26AS?

  5. Hey @Amitabh_Verma

    It is mandatory to create an account on the Income Tax e-filing portal to file your ITR online. It is a hassle-free quicko process. One can register on the portal by providing relevant details such as user type, PAN, first name, surname, date of birth, and fill in the registration form.

  6. Hey @Niraj

    Many times mismatches and discrepancies in actual TDS and TDS credit under Form 26AS happen because of wrong information provided in the TDS return. One can approach the employer/deductor to file a revised TDS return after making the necessary corrections.

    The income-tax department allows an assessee to mention the reason for mismatch in the online portal in answer to a notice sent by them.

    Hope this helps! :slight_smile:

  7. Hi, actually I filed ITR 1(A.Y. 2013-14) due to notice served in Jan month.

    The ITR is pending for verification. Ask the options aren’t available for me client i.e Aadhar verification,evc etc. Only thing is I got my clients DSC. but option of DSC for e-verification is not showing. I can’t send CPC to Bengaluru since it will take time. How can I use DSC to e-verify my already filed return

  8. Hi @Arsheen

    The option to e-verify ITR using DSC is to be selected while filing. Once you have filed your ITR only option available for e-verification is EVC/Aadhar OTP or sending ITR V to CPC Bangalore. You have 120
    days from the date of e-Filing to e-verify your ITR.

    So if 120 days are not over you can send the signed ITR V to CPC Bangalore to get it e-verified and processed.

    Hope this helps :slightly_smiling_face:

  9. Hi @Sharath

    It is suggested to file ITR as NRI in India if you have trading transactions even if there are losses.
    If you do not file ITR then there are high chances of your PAN getting flagged by the IT department for non-filing of ITR.
    Also, If you file the ITR on time you can take benefit of carry forwarding the losses and setting off those losses against the profits in future years.

  10. I have started an HUF by infusing funds by collecting gifts from HUF members. If I invest in Shares, Equity MF, from that Capital (Collected as gifts from members), and earn income in the name of HUF, will that income be clubbed with the income of the members?

    In a way that will be the outcome of the business (trading and investing of shares) done by HUF. And there will be a degree of efforts and luck involved, not a fixed income instrument as FD, etc.

Continue the conversation on TaxQ&A

44 more replies