Form 16C is a TDS Certificate issued by a Tenant (Taxpayer) to Landlord (Deductee) for payment of Rent under Sec 194IB. Your can download Form 16C from TRACES. It contains details of rent payment and TDS deducted on it.
- Deductor or Taxpayer – Individual or HUF to whom Tax Audit is not applicable
- Nature of Payment – Rent exceeding Rs. 50,000 per month
- Rate & Section – Tenant should deduct TDS u/s 194IB @ 5%
- TDS Return – Tenant should file Form 26QC
- TDS Certificate – Tenant should provide Form 16C to the Landlord
- It is not necessary to have a TAN to file form 26QC. PAN of Tenant and PAN of Landlord is mandatory
The Tenant i.e. Taxpayer can download Form 16C from his account on TRACES AY 2018-19 onwards. To download Form 16C, it is necessary that the status of the submitted return i.e. Form 26QC should be ‘Processed’.
Steps to download Form 16C (TDS Certificate) from TRACES
- Log in to TRACES
- Navigate to Form 16B/16C
Go to Downloads > Form 16B/16C (For Buyer/ Tenant)
- Select the required details
Select the required details for which you want to download Form 16C. Click on ‘Proceed’:
1. Form Type – Select Form 26QC
2. Assessment Year
3. Acknowledgment Number
4. PAN of Landlord
- Download Form 16C
A list of challans will appear on the screen. Click on ‘Download‘ to download Form 16C for the relevant challan
- Authorised person
The details of the Authorised Person will appear on the screen. These details are populated from the profile information on TRACES. Further, these details would be printed on Form 16C. Click on Submit
- Request number
Success page will appear on the screen. A Request Number is generated. You can download the file from tab ‘Downloads’
- Navigate to requested downloads
Go to Downloads > Requested Downloads
- Request number/date
Enter the Request Number or Request Date or View All. Click on ‘View Request’. A list of requests pertaining to the search criteria will appear. Select the row containing Form 16C PDF file. If the status is ‘Available‘, click on the download button
Note: If the status is ‘Submitted’, please wait for 24 to 48 hours for the status to change to ‘Available’
- Open the zipped file
Click on the HTTP Download button to download the file. A zip file is downloaded. The password to open ‘Form 16C’ Zip file is Date of Birth of Tenant in DDMMYYYY format. E.g. 15051990
1. Submitted – Successful submission of Request for Form 16C
2. Available: Form 16C available for downloading
3. Failed: Taxpayer should request Form 16C again or is advised to contact CPC(TDS)
The landlord cannot download Form 16C on their own. You should request your deductor i.e. tenant to provide you with Form 16C since he has deducted the TDS and filed TDS Return (Form 26QC). However, you can download Form 26AS from your account on the income tax website. It contains details of total rent and TDS deducted on it.
1. Acknowledgment number of Form 26QC is available in Form 26AS (Annual Tax Statement) of the Deductor (Buyer of property)
2. The taxpayer can also click the option ‘View Acknowledgment’ hosted on the TIN website. Enter PAN of the Tenant and Landlord, Total Payment and Financial Year (as mentioned at the time of filing the Form 26QC) to retrieve the Acknowledgment Number
Yes. Form 16C is different from Form 16A. Form 16C is the TDS Certificate issued by a taxpayer i.e. tenant to the landlord with details of Rent Payment and TDS deducted on it u/s 194IB.
Form 16A is the TDS Certificate issued by a deductor for non-salary payments like professional fees, brokerage, commission, interest, rent, contractual payment, etc. It contains details of the nature of payment and TDS deducted on it.
Yes. The individual/HUF tenant paying rent more than Rs. 50,000 needs to deduct TDS and file Form 26QC. It is applicable from FY 2019-20.
The password to Download Form 16C is PAN of the tenant in Lower Case Format. The tenant will require to first download the PDF Converter utility and then can generate a certificate.