How to Link Aadhaar with PAN Card?
The last date to link Aadhaar with PAN has been extended from the 31st of December 2019 to the 31st of March 2020. If you do not link your PAN with your Aadhaar, then your PAN will become inoperative, effective from the 1st of April 2020.
Moreover, from April 1, 2019, it is mandatory to quote and link Aadhaar number while filing Income Tax Return (ITR) unless specifically exempted. Thus, an individual cannot file their ITR without linking their Aadhaar to their PAN.
The amendment to link PAN with Aadhaar had come into effect from the 1st of September, 2019. According to the Budget 2019 documents, the law was amended to protect the validity of transactions previously carried out using PAN details.
Steps to Link Aadhaar with PAN using SMS
You can link your Aadhaar with PAN through SMS from Registered Mobile Number. Following are the steps:
Step 1: Create a new SMS to 567678 or 56161,
Step 2: Enter UIDPAN
UIDPAN 123456789001 ABCPP1234S
This is a free service. However, SMS charges as levied by the mobile operator of the PAN holder is applicable.
Steps to Link Aadhaar with PAN using Income Tax Website
- Step 1: Visit the Income Tax e-Filing portal.
- Step 2: Click on the “Link Aadhaar” option under the Quick Links section located on the left side.
- Step 3: Hence, we move to the Link Aadhaar page. Enter the following details in the respective fields:
- Aadhaar Number
- Name as per Aadhaar
- Step 4: Therefore, enter the captcha code from the given image and click on the “Link Aadhaar” option.
- In case there is a minor mismatch in the Aadhaar name, the user will have to provide Aadhaar OTP to proceed with the partial name match.
Finally, on the successful completion of the process, a pop-up message will be displayed on the screen.
Steps to link Aadhaar with PAN using Income tax e-filing account
- Step 1: Log in to your account on the Income Tax e-Filing portal.
- Step 2: Click on the Profile Settings > Link Aadhaar from the dashboard.
Step 3: Verify the details given on the page. Hence, enter your Aadhaar number and the captcha code from the given image and click on the “Link Aadhaar” option.
Finally, a popup message will display that your Aadhaar has been successfully linked to your PAN.
1. Who needs to link Aadhaar with PAN?
According to a notification issued by the Finance Ministry, every person who has been allotted a PAN and who is eligible to get an Aadhaar number will have to link the two. The Supreme Court had also upheld Section 139AA of the Income Tax Act making the PAN-Aadhaar linkage mandatory.
2. What is the last date to link the Aadhaar with the PAN?
The last date to link Aadhaar with PAN has been extended from the 31st of December 2019 to the 31st of March 2020.