Submit Track and View Income Tax Grievance on the e-Filing Portal

author portrait

Maharshi Shah

e-Nivaran Status
Income Tax Account
Tracking Grievance
Last updated on August 3rd, 2021

What is Income Tax Grievance on the e-Filing portal?

The Income Tax Department (ITD) has introduced Grievance to address all the grievances under the income tax platform. It is a paperless mode of lodging complaints. Taxpayers can file their grievance application related to:

  1. Assessing Officer,
  2. e-Filing portal,
  3. Centralized Processing Centre (CPC),
  4. TDS Reconciliation Analysis and Correction Enabling System (TRACES),
  5. Directorate of Income Tax (Systems),
  6. National Securities Depository Limited (NSDL),
  7. Unit Trust of India (UTI) and
  8. SBI-refund banker.

Furthermore, this system ensures faster and timely resolution of problems of the taxpayers. Moreover, offline and online complaints are integrated into the central system to avoid duplicity. The system automatically assigns the complaint filed to a designated department. Additionally, taxpayers can track the status of their complaints and receive updates on them.

Types of Grievance

The following departments are available under this section:

Steps to File Income Tax Grievance Report

Follow steps 1 through 6 if you are an unregistered user and steps 7 through 12 if you are a registered user

  1. e-Filing Portal

    Visit the e-Filing portal and scroll down to the footer and click on the Grievances option under the contact us - Grievances Option

  2. Enter Details

    Click on the “I have a PAN/ TAN” option if you have one or select the other option. Enter the number in the space provided and click - Enter PAN or TAN Details

  3. Login to Account

    If you select the first option, you will be redirected to the login page, enter the valid credentials and complete the login process.

  4. Submit a Grievance

    You will moved to the submit a grievance page. Select the appropriate option from the options provided and submit the grievance - Submit a Grievance

  5. Success

    Once done, you will receive a success message on your screen and will also receive a transaction ID. You will also receive an email on your registered email ID.

Steps to Track or View Income Tax Grievance - Income Tax Grievance Option - Track or View Income Tax Grievance


What is the time taken to resolve issues through grievance?

The CBDT aims to provide a solution to Taxpayer issues within 30 days after the complaint has received.

I am not able to view the my filed ITR on the income tax portal. What should I do?

If you are not able to download the filed ITR form on the IT portal, taxpayers must file a grievance report. In such a case, you can navigate to grievance option from the footer of the IT website. Select the appropriate options from the dropdowns of department, category and sub-category. You can also add screenshots in the jpg or pdf format as further proof.

The e-verify option on the income tax portal is unresponsive. What should I do?

If the e-verify button is unresponsive on the IT portal, taxpayers must file a grievance report. In such a case, you can navigate to grievance option from the footer of the IT website. Select department as efiling and the category as verification of returns/forms and finally select the appropriate sub-category and submit the grievance with available screenshots.

Got Questions? Ask Away!

  1. Hey @TeamQuicko

    Can you tell me about ITD’s new ITR filing utility for AY 2021-22?

  2. Hey @HarshitShah

    To improve the tax filing process, the Income Tax Department has decided to do away with the excel and java-based utility and has launched a new offline JSON-based utility for the AY 2021-22. The new utility will help taxpayers import prefilled data and edit it before filing the income tax return (ITR).

    The taxpayers can download the pre-filled data from the income tax e-filing portal and fill in the rest of the data. This imported prefilled data can be edited to change basic information such as address and all. Currently, the utility can be used to file ITR1 to ITR 4. ITD has also released a step-by-step guide to using the utility.

    Hope this helps! :slight_smile:

  3. Is it possible to file ITR online without an account on the Income Tax e-filing portal?

  4. What should be done in case of discrepancies in actual TDS and TDS credit under Form 26AS?

  5. Hey @Amitabh_Verma

    It is mandatory to create an account on the Income Tax e-filing portal to file your ITR online. It is a hassle-free quicko process. One can register on the portal by providing relevant details such as user type, PAN, first name, surname, date of birth, and fill in the registration form.

  6. Hey @Niraj

    Many times mismatches and discrepancies in actual TDS and TDS credit under Form 26AS happen because of wrong information provided in the TDS return. One can approach the employer/deductor to file a revised TDS return after making the necessary corrections.

    The income-tax department allows an assessee to mention the reason for mismatch in the online portal in answer to a notice sent by them.

    Hope this helps! :slight_smile:

  7. Hi, actually I filed ITR 1(A.Y. 2013-14) due to notice served in Jan month.

    The ITR is pending for verification. Ask the options aren’t available for me client i.e Aadhar verification,evc etc. Only thing is I got my clients DSC. but option of DSC for e-verification is not showing. I can’t send CPC to Bengaluru since it will take time. How can I use DSC to e-verify my already filed return

  8. Hi @Arsheen

    The option to e-verify ITR using DSC is to be selected while filing. Once you have filed your ITR only option available for e-verification is EVC/Aadhar OTP or sending ITR V to CPC Bangalore. You have 120
    days from the date of e-Filing to e-verify your ITR.

    So if 120 days are not over you can send the signed ITR V to CPC Bangalore to get it e-verified and processed.

    Hope this helps :slightly_smiling_face:

  9. Hi @Sharath

    It is suggested to file ITR as NRI in India if you have trading transactions even if there are losses.
    If you do not file ITR then there are high chances of your PAN getting flagged by the IT department for non-filing of ITR.
    Also, If you file the ITR on time you can take benefit of carry forwarding the losses and setting off those losses against the profits in future years.

  10. I have started an HUF by infusing funds by collecting gifts from HUF members. If I invest in Shares, Equity MF, from that Capital (Collected as gifts from members), and earn income in the name of HUF, will that income be clubbed with the income of the members?

    In a way that will be the outcome of the business (trading and investing of shares) done by HUF. And there will be a degree of efforts and luck involved, not a fixed income instrument as FD, etc.

Continue the conversation on TaxQ&A

60 more replies


Avatar for TeamQuicko Avatar for Nireka Avatar for Ridhima_Sharma Avatar for Yesha Avatar for Sakshi_Shah1 Avatar for Maharshi_Shah Avatar for Laxmi_Navlani Avatar for Divya_Singhvi Avatar for ATDES Avatar for royanish388 Avatar for Sreetama_Chakraborty Avatar for Xavier_Thilagaraj_Gm Avatar for Scalperji Avatar for kamlesh_chandekar Avatar for Ravi Avatar for Venkitesh_Gopalan Avatar for Yash_Kaviya Avatar for Kiran_More Avatar for Dpdave Avatar for samy111 Avatar for Riya_Jain Avatar for Shashank_H_H Avatar for Shrutika_Shah Avatar for Vinay