A refund arises when taxes paid (TDS, Advance tax) on income are higher than the actual tax liability of a taxpayer. Income Tax Return (ITR) needs to be filed in order to claim a tax refund. Usually, it takes 3 to 6 weeks to process a return and receive a refund from the date of filing of a return.
You can check your Income Tax refund status on Income Tax e filing website or TIN NSDL website.
Check Income Tax Refund Status on Income Tax e filing or TIN NSDL website
To check Income Tax Refund status online there are following two ways:
- From the Income-tax e-filing website
- From TIN NSDL website
1. From the Income-tax e-Filing website:
- Login to your account on www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in
- From Dashboard click on ‘View Return/Form’
- Select ‘Income Tax Return’ and click on submit.
- List of return filed will appear, click on hyperlink against an acknowledgment number of a particular return,
- A pop-up window will appear with the Activity and Status of your e-filed return. It will contain details of:
- Filing of return and e-verification,
- Completion of ITR Processing,
- Date of issue of refund or reason for the failure of refund if any.
- A taxpayer can also give a call to Help Desk to know the status of their refund.
2.From TIN NSDL website:
- Go to TIN NSDL website,
- Enter your PAN and select the Assessment Year.
- Enter the captcha code and click on submit.
- A refund status will be displayed on the next page.
You may get a refund in one of the following ways:
1. If your refund amount exceeds Rs. 50,000, you will receive a cheque from the Income-tax department.
2. Otherwise, a refund will be directly deposited to the primary bank account mentioned in your income tax return.
If you do not receive your refund within 3 to 6 weeks then you can check your refund status and understand its meaning. Accordingly, you can raise a refund reissue request or enquire about the same by calling helpline number of IT Department
Yes. You can check the refund status of previously filed returns as well. All you need to do is select the Assessment year accordingly. For example: If you wish to check the refund of FY 2015-16 then you need to select AY 2016-17 and you can check the refund status.