GSTR 3B is a monthly return that businesses must file with the Goods and Services Tax Network (GSTN). It is a summary of the total outward supplies and total inward supplies made during the previous month. The taxpayer need not report invoice level information in this GST Return. Further, before filing this return on GST Portal, the registered dealer must make the payment of tax based on GST charged on outward supplies and Input Tax Credit availed on inward supplies.
GSTR 3B: Format
The GST Return comprises of the following information and details:
- GSTIN i.e. GST Identification Number of the taxpayer
- The legal name of the business
- Return period i.e. the month for which the taxpayer files the return
- Details of outward supplies i.e. Sales:
- Sales of taxable goods and services
- Zero-rated sales i.e. exports, SEZ supplies, and deemed exports
- Exempt sales and Nil-Rated sales
- Non-GST sales i.e. sales not covered under the GST Act
- Details of inward supplies under reverse charge i.e. purchases on which taxpayer is liable to pay tax under the Reverse Charge Mechanism
- Interstate sales (sales outside the state) made to unregistered persons, composite dealers, and UIN holders
- Input Tax Credit to be claimed on purchases and imports
- Details of Exempt, Nil-Rated and Non-GST inward supplies i.e. purchases
Who should file GSTR 3B?
This Return must be filed by the traders registered under the regular scheme of GST registration. They should file GSTR 3B every month while for filing GSTR 1, the monthly scheme or quarterly scheme can be selected based on the turnover.
The following persons are not required to file this annual return as they need to opt for a special registration:
- Persons registered under the Composition Scheme (CMP 08 and GSTR 4)
- Non-Resident Taxpayers (GSTR 5)
- OIDAR Service Provider (GSTR 5A)
- TDS Deductor (GSTR 7)
- E-Commerce Operator (GSTR 8)
- Input Service Distributors (GSTR 6)
GSTR 3B: Due Date
The GST return must be filed on a monthly basis by a taxpayer on or before 20th of the subsequent month who is registered under the regular scheme. However, due dates for taxpayer registered under QRMP Scheme are on or before 22nd or 24th of the subsequent month of the quarter based on the state in which they are registered.
|Aggregate Turnover||State||Due Date|
|Above INR 5 Cr||All State||20th of the month succeeding such month|
|Up to INR 5 Cr||Chhattisgarh, Madhya Pradesh, Gujarat, Maharashtra, Karnataka, Goa, Kerala, Tamil Nadu, Telangana, Andhra Pradesh, Daman & Diu, and Dadra & Nagar Haveli, Puducherry, Andaman, and the Nicobar Islands, Lakshadweep||22nd of the month succeeding such quarter|
|Up to INR 5 Cr||Himachal Pradesh, Punjab, Uttarakhand, Haryana, Rajasthan, Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Sikkim, Arunachal Pradesh, Nagaland, Manipur, Mizoram, Tripura, Meghalaya, Assam, West Bengal, Jharkhand, Odisha, Jammu and Kashmir, Ladakh, Chandigarh, Delhi||24th of the month succeeding such quarter|
Late Fee for GSTR 3B
If the taxpayer does not file GSTR 3B on or before the due date, they are liable to pay a late fee of INR 100 (CGST INR 50 and SGST INR 50) for each day of delay. In case of Nil Return the late fee is INR 40 (CGST INR 20 and SGST INR 20) for each day of delay. A interest of 18% per annum is also applicable on the outstanding tax payment.
- If there are no transactions in the return period, the taxpayer should file a NIL Return to avoid late fee and penalty
- Late fee is calculated from the date after the due date up to the date of filing of the return.
- Late fee of the current return is payable when the taxpayer files the return for the next return period
- As per the Act, earlier the taxpayer was liable to pay a late fee of Rs.200 (CGST Rs.100 and SGST Rs.100) per day of delay which is reduce now.
Can GSTR 3B be revised?
It is not possible to revise GSTR 3B once filed. But Government has now allowed to ‘Reset GSTR 3B’ through which the status of ‘Submitted’ will be changed to ‘Yet to be Filed’, and all the details filled in the return will be available for editing.
To file GSTR 3B, there are the following stages:
- Payment of Tax and
If the taxpayer has filed the return, he cannot Revise the return. However, if the taxpayer has submitted the return but not filed, he can reset it. Further, the taxpayer can use the option to reset only once.
How to Reset GSTR 3B?
Steps to Reset GSTR 3B
- Visit GST Portal
Login to GST Portal using valid credentials
- Navigate to Services
Click on Returns > Returns Dashboard
- Select the Financial Year and Period of filing
Click on ‘PREPARE ONLINE’ under Monthly Return GSTR 3B
- Reset GSTR-3B option activated
The status of the return is ‘Submitted’. The option to Reset GSTR3B is activate now.
- Click on Reset GSTR3B.
As a result, a warning message that entries in E-Liability Ledger will be deleted and Input Tax Credit will be reversed will appear on the screen. Click on Yes.
- Success Message
Success message that reset is successful will appear on the screen. Thus, the status of return changes to ‘Yet to be filed’.
- Make changes and submit again
Make changes to the return and submit again. Also, do remember that this reset option was available only once.
Yes. If the taxpayer has missed claiming Input Tax Credit for purchases or expenses made in the previous month, they can claim the ITC in later months. As per the GST Act, the last return to claim input tax credit is GSTR 3B of September month from the end of the financial year to which the purchase or expense pertains.
To reconcile GSTR 3B (summary return of inward and outward supplies) with GSTR 2A (auto-populated return from GSTR 1), follow these steps:
1. Download GSTR 2A from your account on GST Portal
2. Reconcile GSTR 2A with Purchases as per books and take action for mismatch
3. Reconcile GSTR 2A with input tax credit as per GSTR-3B and take action for mismatch
Yes, a Nil GSTR return must be filed by every registered taxpayer even in case of no sales or purchase transaction during the month.
I have just submitted GSTR 3B for Jan-2023 ( 19th Feb-2023)and filing is still to be done but I am not able to see the Reset button any where.