The rapid evolution of direct taxes over recent decades reflects the evolving landscape of socio-economic thinking in India. With the vission of digital India in the year 2021, The Income Tax department under the Ministry of Finance has developed e filing Portal. The objective of this portal is to provide a single window of access to income tax-related services for taxpayers and other stakeholders. To file an income tax return, one must register on the e filing Portal.
How to register on the Income Tax e filing Portal?
- Open the income tax e filing login website.
Go to the Income Tax portal and click on the “Register” option.
- User Type
Enter your PAN under the Register as a Taxpayer option and click Validate. If someone has already registered the PAN or if it is invalid, the system will display an error message.
- Enter the required details
Enter all the mandatory details including Name, DOB, Gender and Residential Status as per your PAN on the Basic Details page and click Continue.
- Provide contact details
On validation of PAN, the Contact Details page appears for individual taxpayers. Enter your Contact Details including your Primary Mobile Number, Email ID and Address. Click Continue.
- Validate using OTP
The system will send two separate OTPs to the primary mobile number and email ID. Enter the separate 6-digit OTPs received on the mobile number and email ID and click Continue.
- Verify Details
Verify the basic details and contact details before clicking confirm.
- Set password
On the Secure your Account page, enter your desired password in both the Set Password and Confirm Password text boxes. Enter your personalized message and click Register.
- Account Created
Upon successful registration, click “Proceed to Login” to initiate the login process.
Features: Income Tax e Filing Portal
The following are the features of the income tax e filing website:
- File Income Tax Return (ITR)
- Introduction of JSON utility for filing of Income-tax returns
- Verify e-Filed Returns
- View Tax Credit/ Form 26AS
- Manage past Tax Returns
- Download Tax-related documents
- Respond to Income Tax notice
The pre-filling and filing service is available to registered users on the e Filing portal. This service enables individual taxpayers to file ITR either online through the e Filing portal or by accessing the offline utility.
How to Enable Two-Factor Authentication on e filing Portal?
The e Filing Vault Higher Security service is available to registered users to enable higher security of their e Filing account. The e-Filing Vault implements a second level of authentication for logging into the e Filing account and adds second-factor authentication for password reset through one of the following options:
- Net Banking
- Digital Signature Certificate (DSC)
- OTP on Mobile Number registered with Aadhaar Card.
- Bank Account EVC
- Demat Account EVC
The Steps to Enable Two-Factor Authentication on the e filing Portal are:
- Log in to the e-filing portal using your User ID and password.
- Navigate to the top right corner of your Dashboard, and click My Profile. On the My Profile page, click e-Filing Vault Higher Security.
- The screen will display two options: ‘Set Higher Security for Login’ and ‘Set Higher Security for Password Reset.’
- On the top right corner of your Dashboard, click My Profile. On the My Profile page, click e-Filing Vault Higher Security.
- In the Set Higher Security for Login and Set Higher Security for Password Reset sections, select the higher security option that you would like to apply.
- Depending on the selected option, the system will display an information message upon successful validation, Click OK.
Registration is mandatory to file the Income Tax return. the e-Filing portal will enable you to access and use the various functionalities and tax-related services that the e-Filing Portal offers.
The password should match the following criteria:
1. It should be at least 8 characters and at most 14 characters.
2. It should include both uppercase and lowercase letters.
3. It should contain a number.
4. It should have a special character (e.g. @#$%).
Yes, you can provide your foreign mobile number while registering. All details will be communicated to you on your email ID provided and not your foreign mobile number. All OTPs will be sent on email ID only.
Yes, Users can opt for more than one method of security for the e-filing Vault. However, you have to choose one of the options while logging in to the e-filing portal
The registration is based on the PAN and the provided primary contact details. Each PAN must be registered individually.