It is mandatory to register on the www.incometax.gov.in portal, to be able to file ITR. You can also download Form 26AS from your income tax e-filing account. Given below are the steps to complete the registration process on the incometaxefiling Website.
- www.incometax.gov.in – Steps to Register as a Taxpayer
- www.incometax.gov.in Website Registration Benefit
- Different Methods to Login to the www.incometax.gov.in
- Step by Step Guide to Login to the www.incometax.gov.in Portal
- Two Factor Authentication
- Change www.incometax.gov.in Account Password
- Reset Password Procedure on the www.incometax.gov.in Portal
www.incometax.gov.in – Steps to Register as a Taxpayer
- Visit the incometaxefiling portal
Go to the Income Tax portal and click on the “Register” option.
- User Type
Select “User Type” and enter the PAN details and click continue.
- Enter the required details
Enter the required details under both, the basic details section & the contact details section.
- Validate using OTP
On clicking on continue, you will receive OTPs on your mobile number and on your email id. Enter them to validate your details.
- Verify Details
Verify the basic details and contact details before clicking confirm.
- Secure Your Account
Set your password and your personalized message to complete the security process to secure your account.
www.incometax.gov.in Website Registration Benefit
Following are the benefits of creating an account on incometaxefiling website:
- File Income Tax Return (ITR)
- Verify e-Filed Returns
- View Tax Credit/ Form 26AS
- Manage past Tax Returns
- Download Tax-related documents
- Respond to Income Tax notice
Can I file ITR on my own?
Yes, once you register yourself on the ITD website, you can log in to your account and e-file your tax return.
The Income Tax department has made many changes over the past couple of years to simplify the process. For example, there are multiple ways in which you can file ITR now, you can e-verify your return easily and processing time has drastically reduced. There are startups such as ours also trying to simplify the tax filing process for individuals and small businesses.
Different Methods to Login to the www.incometax.gov.in
|Login Method||Credentials Required|
|OTP on Registered Mobile / email ID||User ID (PAN) & Password|
|Aadhaar OTP (including the case where e-Filing vault option is enabled)||User ID (PAN)|
|Aadhaar Number (Only for Individual taxpayers)||User ID (Aadhaar)|
|Net Banking (e-Filing vault higher security enabled)||User ID & Password|
|Net Banking (e-Filing vault higher security NOT enabled)||Net Banking User ID and password|
|Static Password||User ID (PAN) & Password|
|Bank / Demat Account EVC (e-Filing Vault Higher Security enabled)||User ID (PAN) & Password|
|DSC||User ID (PAN) & Password|
|ITD Mobile App – Scan QR Code*||–|
|ITD Mobile App – Push Notification*||–|
|ITD Mobile App-T-OTP*||–|
|Login using User ID – for CA, TAN User, ERI, External Agency||User ID (PAN) & Password|
|Login using User ID – for ITDREIN User||User ID (PAN) & Password|
|Login using DSC (when e-Filing Vault Higher Security is enabled) – for CA, TAN User, ERI, External Agency||User ID (PAN) & Password|
Step by Step Guide to Login to the www.incometax.gov.in Portal
The new e-filing portal mandates 2-FA, i.e. in addition to username and password, another authentication through OTP on e-filing registered primary mobile number and email ID or Aadhaar linked mobile needs to be entered. In order to avoid any hassle for taxpayers, who may not have access to such mobile number/email, the two factor authentication will be disabled during the initial period. During this period, taxpayers are requested to update their personal mobile number and email ID as primary mobile and email in their profile to ensure smooth login once two factor authentication is enabled.
- Visit the Income Tax eFiling Portal and click on login
- Enter your PAN under the user ID and click on continue.
- Confirm you secure access message and enter in your password and click on continue.
- Select the option to receive the OTP.
- Enter the OTP to login to the portal.
Hence, on successful validation, you will be redirected to the dashboard.
Two Factor Authentication
The new e-filing portal mandates two factor authentication i.e. in addition to username and password, another authentication through OTP on e-filing registered primary mobile number / email ID or Aadhaar linked mobile needs to be entered. In order to avoid any hassle for taxpayers, who may not have access to such mobile number/email, the two factor authentication will be disabled during the initial period. During this period, taxpayers are requested to update their personal mobile number and email ID as primary mobile / email in their profile to ensure smooth login once two factor authentication is enabled.
Change www.incometax.gov.in Account Password
- Login to the eFiling portal.
- Next, click on the change password that appears on the top right side of the screen.
- On the change password page, enter your current password and new password respectively.
Finally, click on submit. On doing so, there are 2 possible cases:
- Change password is a success
- Password change failed
In this case, clear temporary files from your web browser and try again.
Reset Password Procedure on the www.incometax.gov.in Portal
- On the Select an Option to Reset Password page, select OTP on mobile number registered with Aadhaar and click continue
- On the Set Password using OTP on mobile number registered with Aadhaar page, select Generate OTP and click Continue. Alternatively, if you already have an Aadhaar OTP, select I already have OTP on mobile number registered with Aadhaar and enter the 6-digit OTP available with you. Click Continue and proceed to Step 5
- On the Verify Your Identity page, select the Declaration checkbox and click Generate Aadhaar OTP
- Arriving at the Verify Your Identity page, enter the 6-digit OTP received on your mobile number registered with Aadhaar in Enter the OTP textbox and click Verify
- On the Reset Password page, enter new password in Set New Password and Confirm Password textboxes and click Submit
Finally, you will receive a success message with a transaction ID.
For a Non-Resident, a valid e-Mail ID will be sufficient to register. All the relevant verification PINs and intimations will be shared with such an e-Mail ID.
For filling up the verification field, you may use a dummy PAN (FFFPF9999F). It is again clarified, that the dummy PAN can be used only for the verification field and DSC with dummy PAN will not be accepted.
The user cannot e-file the Income Tax Return without registering on the portal. Also, services like Viewing 26AS Statement, status of Income Tax Return, File Rectification, Refund re-issue request, etc, cannot be availed.
No. A registered company PAN is mandatory to e-file for uploading the income tax return of the company. The same applies to firms, AOP, BOI, Local Authority, Trust, Artificial Judicial Person, and Government.
Yes, the account will get locked after entering 5 unsuccessful passwords. The account can be unlocked by contacting the helpline number.
Most of the nationally recognized banks provide this service for their customers. However, to be safe, it is recommended to check the bank’s website or contact the bank regarding the same. The list of recognized banks is available on the e-Filing portal after clicking on the Net Banking option.