GST Registration: Online Process, Documents, Fees, Eligibility in India
- When is GST Registration Compulsory?
- What are the Documents required for GST Registration?
- How to get GST Registration?
- Fees and Penalty for GST Registration
- Who can Cancel GST Registration?
- How to Cancel GST Registration Process?
From 01.04.2019 onwards, this limit for goods is INR.40 lakhs and it is INR.20 lakhs for services. However, in case of special category states, the limit for goods it is INR.20 lakhs and INR.10 lakhs for services. These special category states under GST are North-Eastern States, Himachal Pradesh, Uttarakhand and Jammu & Kashmir.
The GST registration process is done only by online. It usually takes 2-6 working days to get GST Registration. After submitting the GST Application, the GST officer issues the GST Number or GSTIN if they find the application satisfactory. However, the GST registration process can take longer in the case officer wants more documents.
The businesses with a GST registration can claim Input Tax Credit for the purchases from other GST Registered Dealers. Input Tax Credit under GST allows the transfer of tax credit and avoid double taxation.
Who needs GST Registration?
The entities eligible and required to get registered under GST are as follows:
- Turnover for Goods is more than INR 40 Lakh for the normal states. Likewise, for the special states, it is INR 20 Lakh.
- Turnover for Services is more than INR 20 Lakh for the normal states. Similarly, It is INR 10 Lakh for the special states
- Entities registered under VAT, Service Tax, Excise, etc. before the GST
- Inter-State suppliers of Taxable Goods
- E-commerce operators or E-commerce suppliers of goods
- TDS (Tax Deducted at Source) Deductor or the TCS (Tax Collected at Source) collectors
- Non-Resident taxable persons (NRTP)
- Casual Taxable Person (CTP)
- Input Service Distributor (ISD)
- Agent i.e. an entity that sells goods and services on behalf of the other person
- OIDAR (Online Information Database and Access Retrieval) Service Provider
- Any business that is liable to pay tax under the RCM (Reverse Charge Mechanism)
Documents Required for GST Registration
The list of documents are needed to register for GST:
- PAN (Permanent Account Number)
- Proof of Business Registration
- Proof of Address
- Bank Account Proof
- Identity Proof, Address Proof and Photographs of the authorized person
- Digital Signature
- Copy of the Board Resolution, Memorandum of Association (MOA) and Articles of Association (AOA)
What is the GST Registration process?
Mentioned below is a brief process for GST Registration on the GST Portal:
- Under New Registration on GST Portal, enter the basic details
- You will see a GSTIN/ UIN / Provisional ID
- Verify using OTP (One-time Password)
- You will receive a TRN (Temporary Registration Number)
- Verify the TRN by OTP Verification
- Enter the relevant details and Upload the documents
- Verify your application
After successful submission of the application, you will get an ARN(Acknowledgment Reference Number). Further, track your GST registration application by using this ARN.
What are the GST Registration Fees?
The Government does not charge any fees for GST Registration. However, the GST Practitioner or the Chartered Accountant may charge their professional fees.
What is the penalty for not registering under GST?
If a business is liable to get a GST Registration but does not register, then a penalty is levied. The GST Department charges a penalty in such cases. The penalty is 10% of the total tax amount or INR 10,000, whichever is higher.
Who can cancel GST Registration?
The GST Number or GSTIN of the business becomes inactive if they cancel their GST Registration. The following can apply to cancel the GST Registration of a business:
- Tax Officer
- Legal Heirs
How to cancel GST Registration?
Following are the steps to cancel GST Registration on the GST Portal:
- Go to Application for Cancellation of Registration, under the Services
- Enter the basic details
- Enter the details of GST cancellation
- Verify the application
After successful submitting an application to cancel the GST registration, you will get an ARN. You can track the application of GST Registration by using this ARN.