MEET by Quicko

Board Meeting: Increase in Share Capital

author portrait

Akash Jhaveri

Board Meeting
Board Resolution
Last updated on April 27th, 2021

“Authorized Capital”, is the maximum amount of share capital that a company can issue to its members/ shareholders. Here are the 2 most common reasons for Increase in Authorised Share Capital

Generally, companies register with a small authorized capital and increase as per the requirements or conditions imposed by the lender/investors, customers.

Draft Meeting Minutes
Download Sample Board Meeting Minutes for Alteration in Authorised Capital
Draft Meeting Minutes
Download Sample Board Meeting Minutes for Alteration in Authorised Capital

Procedure for Increasing Authorised Share Capital


What is the minimum Authorised Share Capital for a Company?

The Companies Act, 2013 earlier mandated that all Private Limited Companies have a minimum paid up capital of Rs.1 lakh.This meant that Rs.1 lakh worth of money had to be invested in the company by purchase of the company shares by the shareholders to start business.

Whether stamp duty is paid on increase in share capital?

Yes, Stamp Duty is payable on the increase in Authorised capital and is applicable as per the Stamp Act/Rules of concerned State/Union Territory.

What is the difference between authorized capital and paid up capital?

– Authorised capital: Authorised capital is the maximum capital that the company is allowed to raise through the sale of its shares.
– Paid-up capital: It is the part of called up capital which has been actually paid by shareholders and received by the company. It can never be more than Authorised capital.

Got Questions? Ask Away!

  1. Hello @Sofiyah_Valiante

    If the Articles of Association does not contain a clause to increase the authorised share capital, one needs to alter the AoA first, file it with RoC in MGT-14 and then file SH-7.

    You can learn more about changing the share capital here:

    Hope this helps!

  2. Hello! @Shristi_Nitin

    To claim the refund, you can file the Refund Form available on MCA Portal. You can read more about refund related queries here - FAQs On Refund Process

  3. Can you tell me how can I raise my company’s authorized share capital?

Continue the conversation on TaxQ&A

1 more reply