Micro, Small, and Medium Enterprises can apply for MSME registration in India. Proprietorships, Hindu Undivided Family, Partnership Firm, One Person Company, Limited Liability Partnership, Private Limited Company, Limited Company, Producer Company, any association of persons, co-operative societies or any other undertaking can obtain MSME registration.
Moreover, In accordance with the Micro, Small, and Medium Enterprises Development (MSMED) Act in 2006, the enterprises are classified into two divisions.
- Manufacturing enterprises – engaged in the manufacturing or production of goods in any industry
- Service enterprises – engaged in providing or rendering services
Further, the earlier definition of MSMEs was based on investments in plants and machinery or equipment. However, MSMEs will now be defined in a composite manner, taking both investments as well as turnover into account. Moreover, this new definition will bring about many benefits that will aid MSMEs to grow in size.
Classifications of MSME
Definition of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises has been altered with the aim of providing them greater support as well as various benefits as a part of the relief measures under Atmanirbhar Bharat Abhiyaan.
Earlier & Latest Classifications of MSME are mentioned in the tables below:
|Previous MSME Classification|
|Criteria: Investment in Plant and Machinery/ Equipment|
|Manufacturing enterprises||< Rs 25 lacs||< Rs.5 crore||< Rs.10 crore|
|Service enterprises||< Rs.10 lacs||< Rs.2 crore||
< Rs.5 crore
|Revised MSME Classification|
|Criteria: Investment as well as Turnover|
|For Manufacturing enterprises as well as Service enterprises|
|Investments||< Rs.1 crore||< Rs.10 crore||< Rs.20 crore|
|Turnover||< Rs.5 crore||< Rs.50 crore||
< Rs.100 crore
Note: Enterprise has to fulfill both of the above criteria to become eligible as an MSME as per the revised MSME classification.
MSME Online Registration Process
Time needed: 15 minutes.
- Enter Aadhaar number and Name
- Verify using OTP
Once you click on Verify and Generate OTP, you will receive OTP & you can use that e-Aadhaar OTP for verification
- Enter personal as well as other basic information required
Once you verify your OTP , you will be able to fill the form for MSME registration. Provide Name of Entity, Type of organization, Address, etc
- Input other Feilds & Upload documents wherever required for the registration
Input other Feilds & Upload documents wherever required for the registration i.e Classification of Enterprise, Total Investment, Bank account details, District Industry Center as well as some other common information. You can provide self-certified certificates.
- Verify using OTP and enter captcha.
Further, Use e-Aadhaar OTP for verification and then enter captcha.
- Submit Form
Once the details are filled you can upload the form and then you would be getting the registration number.
Points to be noted:
- To do the registration the small and medium scale industry owner can file form in both manners i.e whether online or offline.
- Secondly, there are no registration fees required to be paid for this process.
MSME Registration without Aadhaar card:
In case the applicant doesn’t have Aadhaar card then he/she must visit the nearest Aadhaar enrollment center for enrollment. Till the time Aadhaar is issued to the individual the below documents can be used to continue the registration process:
Further, Copy of Aadhaar enrollment slip or copy of Aadhaar slip for Aadhaar enrollment can be used.
For Aadhaar enrollment process below documents are required:
- Employee photo identity card
- Driving license copy
- Passport copy
- Copy of voter ID card
- PAN card copy
Then, after completing the above process you can continue your business with MSME/SSI certificate.
Documents Required For MSME Registration
- Aadhar cards of Proprietor / Partners/ Directors
- Copy of PAN Card business
- P&M as well as equipment investment details. (Amount of Investment)
- Likewise, Turnover Details
- Valid Mobile number as per Aadharcard as well as valid email address
- Proof of date of commencement of business
- Copy of Bank statement with IFSC code
- Name of Business as well as address proof of business
- Partnership deed or MOA/AOA
- Sales as well as purchase bill copies
- Copies of licenses as well as bills of purchased machinery
Benefits of MSME Registration
The Finance Minister listed various benefits for MSMEs which included easier credit and equity infusion as well as various other benefits like redefining these units under Atmanirbhar Bharat Scheme. Those benefits are explained in detail below:
New Benefits under “Atmanirbhar Bharat Scheme”
- Collateral Free Automation loan will be given by banks and NBFCs for an amount up to 20% of the MSME’s entire outstanding credit as on 29th February 2020. Moreover, Borrowers with a turnover of up to rupees 100 crores and an outstanding credit of up to rupees 25 crores are eligible for obtaining credit under this scheme. Also, this Loan will be for a 4 year tenor with a Moratorium of 12 Months on principal repayment. Also, 100% credit guarantee cover to banks and NBFCs on principal and interest
- Further, to meet liquidity requirements for such companies, the Government of India will facilitate the provision of Rs 20,000 crores Subordinate Debt for Functioning MSMEs which are NPA or are stressed. Also, this benefit is targetted towards the loans which are standard having the timely repayments in the past. Moreover, the stimulus package has rightly considered credit facilities even for the borrowers where there were few delays or the loans were classified as NPAs.
- Likewise, rupees 50,000 crores Equity infusion for MSMEs through Funds. Since Government has observed the inability of raising debt by MSMEs beyond a particular level. Also, the MSMEs which are having growth potential and viability will get the support of equity infusion from this corpus.
- Further, apart from liquidity enhancement measures, the government has taken a step towards increasing the market for MSME in India. Moreover, Indian MSMEs and other companies have often faced unfair competition from foreign companies. Therefore, Global tenders will be disallowed in Government procurement tenders up to rupees 200 crores
There are various other benefits of MSME Registration and some of them are listed below:
- A discount of 50% will be available on Trademark Registrations.
- MSME Registration helps to open the current account easily.
- Concession one electricity bill can be enjoyed by making an application to the electricity department along with MSME Registration Certificate.
- An enterprise can avail protection if payment is delayed from the buyer’s side and also it can seek help under the arbitration and reconciliation.
- It can take credit for minimum alternate tax (MAT) to be carry forward for up to 15 years instead of 10 years
- There are many government tenders that are only open to MSME Industries.
- MSME certificate allows 1% exemption on the interest rate on overdraft.
- The enterprises can easily get the approvals, licenses, as well as registrations once they acquire the MSME certificate.
- Customers can recognize an enterprise easily if it is registered for as MSME.
- Enterprises that have MSME registration can enjoy Direct Tax Exemption in the initial year of business, as mention in the scheme by Government and depending on business activity.
Activities specifically excluded from coverage under MSME
Ministry of Micro, Small, and Medium Enterprises (MSME) has clarified via notifications that the following activities would be specifically not included in the manufacturing or production of commodities or rendering of services as per Section 7 of the said Act.
- Forest and Logging
- Fishing and aquaculture
- Wholesale, retail trade as well as repair of motor vehicle and motorcycles
- Wholesale trade except for motor vehicles as well as motorcycles.
- Retail Trade Except for Motor Vehicles as well as motorcycles
- Activities of households as employees for domestic personnel
- Undifferentiated goods as well as services-producing activities of private households for own
- Activities of extraterritorial organizations and bodies
There is no expiry of the MSME registration certificate. As long as the entity is ethical and financially healthy there will be no expiry of the certificate.
No. MSME covers only manufacturing and service industries.
Moreover, the purpose of MSME is to support startups with subsidies and benefits, However, trading companies are like middlemen i.e a link between manufacturer and customer. Hence not covered under the scheme.
No. The MSME registration certificate is for a single entity irrespective of multiple branches or plants. However, information about multiple branches or plants must be furnished.