How can I select the filing type for a GST Return as monthly or quarterly?
You can select the filing type when you file your first GST Return on the GST Portal. The filing type is determined on the basis of two questions :
- If the answer to the first question is ‘Yes’, the taxpayer can opt for a monthly scheme or quarterly scheme in the second question
- If the answer to the first question is ‘No’, the taxpayer does not have an option to opt for the quarterly scheme
Thus, taxpayers under Quarterly Scheme can file GST Returns on a monthly basis by opting for Monthly Scheme.
However, Taxpayers falling under Monthly Scheme must file returns on a monthly basis. They do not have an option to switch to the quarterly scheme.
How can I change the filing type of GST Return from monthly to quarterly?
Earlier, the option of filing type once selected on the GST Portal could not be reversed. However, The option to edit the filing type is now available on the GST Portal from FY 2018-19 subject to the following conditions:
- Option to change the preference is available only once
- Form GSTR-1 is not submitted or filed for any of the return periods in FY 2018-19
Here are the steps to edit the preference:
- Login to GST Portal
- On the ‘File Returns’ view, select the Financial Year and Period
- Click on the ‘EDIT’ button to change the filing preference
- Select the option and click on ‘SUBMIT’