When can I file refund application for excess GST paid?
A dealer registered under GST can file an application for a refund of excess GST paid in the following cases:
- Mistakenly paid excess GST on paying the GST Challan
- Mistakenly made the payment under the wrong head of GST Challan – eg: amount paid under fee instead of tax
- When the taxpayer has paid GST on sales and later cancelled the invoice without generating a Credit Note
Steps to claim GST Refund of excess GST paid on GST Portal:
- Go to GST Portal
Click on Services > Refunds > Application for Refund
- Refund Types are displayed.
Select the Refund type – Excess payment of tax.
i. You can claim refund only if you have filed all the returns till the date of filing the refund application
ii. The claim for refund should be for Rs.1000 or more
iii. The amount of refund claimed should not be more than the tax paid in the GST return for which refund application is filed.
- Select the relevant financial year and month.
Click on Create
- On the next page, GST RFD-01 – Excess payment of tax is displayed.
- Click on Save to save the application, click on Preview to download the application, select the checkbox for Undertaking and Self-Declaration
Click on Proceed
i. To view the Saved Application, go to Services > Refunds > My Saved/Filed Application
ii. You must file a Saved Application within 15 days from the date of creating the refund application
- Select the Declaration checkbox and name of the authorised signatory.
File the application using the relevant option – File with DSC or File with EVC
- The system generates an ARN i.e. Application Reference Number and displays a confirmation message.
Further, the ARN is sent to the registered mobile number and registered email of the taxpayer.
i. To download the Filed Application, go to Services > My Applications
ii. To track the status of your refund application, go to Services > Refunds > Track Application Status
iii. Once the tax official processes the refund application, the GST refund would be issued
No. Refund application can be filed for a particular month of a financial year. Thus, refund application for each tax period should be filed separately.
When the taxpayer submits the refund application, ARN is sent to his registered mobile and email. A jurisdictional refund processing officer scrutinises the refund application and attached documents. If he is satisfied, the refund is issued.
The refund can be claimed for the amount of Rs.1000 or more while filing a refund application using the ground as “Excess payment of Tax”.