Once you upload the Income Tax Return on Income Tax Portal, the return filing process is not complete. The last step is to e-verify your ITR. Unless you don’t e-verify ITR online, the income tax department does not process it. The assessee must e-verify the ITR within 120 days from the date of filing.
If the assessee has missed to e-verify the ITR, he would receive an email from the income tax department.
Email address: ITR_status@cpc.gov.in
Subject of the email: Non-Submission of ITR V for e-return of AY 2019-20
Reason: The assessee has not e-verified the Income Tax Return within 120 days from the filing of the return
You can e-verify the ITR in either of the following ways:
1. E-Verify ITR online using Aadhaar OTP
Aadhar OTP is sent to the mobile number linked with Aadhar of the assessee. Enter OTP to verify ITR. It is compulsory to link PAN with Aadhar to use this option
2. E-Verify ITR online using EVC i.e. Electronic Verification Code
- Using NetBanking – Use the e-verification option after logging into your net banking account
- Pre-validated Bank Account – Pre-validate bank account to generate EVC and e-verify the ITR
- Pre-validated Demat Account – Pre-validate Demat account to generate EVC and e-verify the ITR
- EVC through Bank ATM – Generate EVC using Bank ATM and e-verify the ITR
3. E-Verify ITR online using DSC i.e. Digital Signature Certificate
E-Verify the ITR using the signature file generated from the DSC of the assessee. Use the Digital Signature Utility to generate the signature file.
4. Send ITR-V to CPC Bangalore
Sign the copy of ITR-V and send it to CPC Bangalore.
Failure to verify the e-return filed, would render the e-return as invalid.
According to income tax laws, a taxpayer gets 120 days from the date of filing an income tax return (ITR) to verify his/her tax return.
If you verify the original return within the period of 120 days of filing, and the revised return, both will become valid. The revised will take precedence (since revised return replaces original return in every aspect) and will be taken up for assessment.