Documents required for Income Tax Return filing in India

author portrait

Hiral Vakil

Business and Profession Income
Capital Gains
Income from House Property
Income Source
ITR Documents
ITR Form
Salary Income
Tax Saving Investments
Last updated on February 2nd, 2023

Income Tax Return or ITR forms are different on the basis of income sources. Specific documents of the taxpayer are required to file ITR.
Other documents required may differ based on the income situation. These documents are not required to be submitted to the IT Department while filing the Income Tax Return. Since ITR is an annexure-less form. However, if a taxpayer receives a notice from the ITD such documents may be required to be submitted.

List of Basic Documents required for filing the Income Tax Return – ITR

Following are the basic documents mandatory to file an ITR in India:

Documents Required for Different Income Heads

Salary Income/ Pension Income

Following documents are required from taxpayer having salary/ pension income:

House Property Income

The following documents are required to determine when rental income is earned by a taxpayer or there is a home loan. These documents will help determine the correct deduction and Income from House Property.

Capital Gains Income

When an individual sells any movable or immovable property a Capital Gain arises. It also includes the sale of shares and securities.

Business and Professional Income

Following are the documents required to file the return if you are earning any income from Business and Profession during the year:

Income from Other Source

Any income which does not fall under any of the above heads of income, in that case, it will come under the head Income From Other Source.

Find the best plan
Find the best plan
Find the best plan
Find the best plan

Documents Required for Tax Saving Investments (Section 80)

One can invest in some of the tax-saving investment schemes to save taxes and claim a tax deduction. Following are the documents that come in handy for tax saving investment made:

Documents Required for Foreign Income and Foreign Investments


What is the list of documents required for filing basic ITR?

The basic list of documents required to file ITR is as follows:
PAN (Permanent Account Number)   
Aadhar Number
Form 26AS
Bank Account Details
Challan of any advance tax or self-assessment tax (if paid during the year)
Details of the original return (if filing a revised return)

What is Form 16?

It is a certificate of TDS on salary. Every employer issues Form 16 to an employee after the end of a Financial year. Employees usually receive Form 16 before 31st May of the next financial year. It contains details of income earned and the taxes deducted. Furthermore, Form 16 is divided into two parts: Form 16 Part A and Form 16 Part B.

What is Form 26AS?

It is a consolidated Tax Credit Statement which provides the following details to a taxpayer:

1. Details of taxes deducted from the taxpayer’s income.
​2. Details of taxes collected from taxpayer’s payments.
3. Advance Taxes, Self Assessment Taxes, and Regular Assessment
4. Taxes paid by the taxpayers.
5. Details of the refund received during the year.
6. Details of any high-value transactions (for eg. Shares, Mutual Funds, etc.).

Got Questions? Ask Away!

  1. Hey @TeamQuicko

    Can you tell me about ITD’s new ITR filing utility for AY 2021-22?

  2. Hey @HarshitShah

    To improve the tax filing process, the Income Tax Department has decided to do away with the excel and java-based utility and has launched a new offline JSON-based utility for the AY 2021-22. The new utility will help taxpayers import prefilled data and edit it before filing the income tax return (ITR).

    The taxpayers can download the pre-filled data from the income tax e-filing portal and fill in the rest of the data. This imported prefilled data can be edited to change basic information such as address and all. Currently, the utility can be used to file ITR1 to ITR 4. ITD has also released a step-by-step guide to using the utility.

    Hope this helps! :slight_smile:

  3. Is it possible to file ITR online without an account on the Income Tax e-filing portal?

  4. What should be done in case of discrepancies in actual TDS and TDS credit under Form 26AS?

  5. Hey @Amitabh_Verma

    It is mandatory to create an account on the Income Tax e-filing portal to file your ITR online. It is a hassle-free quicko process. One can register on the portal by providing relevant details such as user type, PAN, first name, surname, date of birth, and fill in the registration form.

  6. Hey @Niraj

    Many times mismatches and discrepancies in actual TDS and TDS credit under Form 26AS happen because of wrong information provided in the TDS return. One can approach the employer/deductor to file a revised TDS return after making the necessary corrections.

    The income-tax department allows an assessee to mention the reason for mismatch in the online portal in answer to a notice sent by them.

    Hope this helps! :slight_smile:

  7. Hi, actually I filed ITR 1(A.Y. 2013-14) due to notice served in Jan month.

    The ITR is pending for verification. Ask the options aren’t available for me client i.e Aadhar verification,evc etc. Only thing is I got my clients DSC. but option of DSC for e-verification is not showing. I can’t send CPC to Bengaluru since it will take time. How can I use DSC to e-verify my already filed return

  8. Hi @Arsheen

    The option to e-verify ITR using DSC is to be selected while filing. Once you have filed your ITR only option available for e-verification is EVC/Aadhar OTP or sending ITR V to CPC Bangalore. You have 120
    days from the date of e-Filing to e-verify your ITR.

    So if 120 days are not over you can send the signed ITR V to CPC Bangalore to get it e-verified and processed.

    Hope this helps :slightly_smiling_face:

  9. Hi @Sharath

    It is suggested to file ITR as NRI in India if you have trading transactions even if there are losses.
    If you do not file ITR then there are high chances of your PAN getting flagged by the IT department for non-filing of ITR.
    Also, If you file the ITR on time you can take benefit of carry forwarding the losses and setting off those losses against the profits in future years.

  10. I have started an HUF by infusing funds by collecting gifts from HUF members. If I invest in Shares, Equity MF, from that Capital (Collected as gifts from members), and earn income in the name of HUF, will that income be clubbed with the income of the members?

    In a way that will be the outcome of the business (trading and investing of shares) done by HUF. And there will be a degree of efforts and luck involved, not a fixed income instrument as FD, etc.

Continue the conversation on TaxQ&A

60 more replies


Avatar for TeamQuicko Avatar for Nireka Avatar for Ridhima_Sharma Avatar for Yesha Avatar for Sakshi_Shah1 Avatar for Maharshi_Shah Avatar for Laxmi_Navlani Avatar for Divya_Singhvi Avatar for ATDES Avatar for royanish388 Avatar for Sreetama_Chakraborty Avatar for Xavier_Thilagaraj_Gm Avatar for Scalperji Avatar for kamlesh_chandekar Avatar for Ravi Avatar for Venkitesh_Gopalan Avatar for Yash_Kaviya Avatar for Kiran_More Avatar for Dpdave Avatar for samy111 Avatar for Riya_Jain Avatar for Shashank_H_H Avatar for Shrutika_Shah Avatar for Vinay