Taxpayer can verify authenticity of PAN on Income Tax e-Filing Portal. Individuals can also verify the details on someone else’s behalf given they have all the required details. Banks and other organizations use the bulk PAN verification facility to check whether your PAN card details are authentic or not.
PAN is a unique identification number provided to all eligible taxpayers. There are many situations where one might need to verify a PAN:
- An employer needs to verify his/her employee’s PAN for the purpose of TDS
- Deductor needs to verify deductees PAN for the purpose of TDS
- Financial Institutions need to verify PAN to verify taxpayers identity
- Credit Agencies need to verify PAN to verify taxpayers identity
- A tenant may need to verify the Landlord’s PAN
- Property buyer may need to verify Property seller’s PAN for the purpose of TDS
Steps to Verify PAN Details on the Income Tax e-Filing Portal
- Visit the Income Tax Portal.
- Click on the Verify your PAN Details.
You will find the “Verify Your PAN Details” under the “Quick Links” category.
- On the “Verify PAN” page, enter the details.
Enter the following details in the respective fields:
– PAN Number
– Full Name
– Date of Birth (D.0.B)
– Status > Select your status from the drop-down list
- Click on Submit Button.
Thus, enter the captcha code from the image given and click on the “Submit” option.
Hence, the result will be displayed in the following manner depending upon the order of the data entered. Hence, the details entered in the empty fields should be in the same order as that displayed on the PAN.
The Income Tax Department (ITD) is very strict about unauthorized access to PAN data. However, under a valid use case, one can use services available through the income tax website.
– Screen-based Verification: The users, after login, can furnish up to a maximum of five PANs in the screen provided. The PANs may be entered into the boxes provided on the screen. The response giving details of PAN will be displayed in the response screen.
– File and Screen-based Verification: The users, after login, can upload a file containing a maximum of 1000 PANs (file structure as specified by NSDL e-Gov). In case, file format is incorrect, the system will convey the rejection. The entity can download a response regarding acceptance/rejection of the file at his convenience for up to 10 days.
– Software (API) based PAN verification: The facility is an interface that allows the user to make an online verification of PAN by accessing the verification-site through a software application.