The status of an Income Tax Return or ITR can be checked once the return has been filed and verified. Taxpayers should regularly check the status of their income tax return to ensure that the ITR has been accepted and processed. You can check the status of your ITR by logging in to your income tax account.
Types of ITR Status
- Submitted and pending for e-verification: This status appears when you have filed the Income Tax Return, but is not e-verified. Or you have manually verified it and sent the acknowledgment to the department but the same has not been received by the department yet.
- Successfully e-verified: If the status of your return is shown as successfully e-verified, it means that you have submitted and duly verified your return. But the processing of ITR is pending.
- Processed: If the status is shown as ‘processed’, it means that the return is successfully processed by the department without any discrepancies.
- Defective: The status of an ITR shows ‘defective’ if it hasn’t been filed in accordance with provisions of the law. If your return is found defective then you will receive a notice of defective return under section 139(9). Asking you to rectify the defect within 15 days from the date of receiving notice. In case, the taxpayer does not respond within the set time limit, then ITR shall be treated as invalid.
- Case transferred to Assessing Officer:
- It means the Centralized Processing Centre of the Income Tax Department has transferred the ITR to the jurisdictional assessing officer to process it.
- CPC generally transfers only those cases to the assessing officer which may involve complexities that could not be processed without any human intervention and thus require the assessing officer to step in.
- If your case has been transferred to the jurisdictional assessing officer, then just wait for a communication from the respective officer.
- The assessing officer may ask you to provide necessary evidence in support of your claim or assertions to process the return.
Steps to check ITR Status
Without the Login Credentials
- Income Tax Return Status
Visit the e-filing portal and scroll down and click on the option Income Tax Return Status option.
- Enter required details
On the next screen, enter the acknowledgement number and a valid mobile number and click on continue.
- Enter OTP
Next, enter the 6 digit OTP you receive on the mobile number.
- ITR Status
On successful validation, you will be able to view the status of your ITR.
With Login Credentials
- Login to the e-Filing portal using your login credentials.
- Click e-File > Income Tax Returns > View Filed Returns
- On the View Filed Returns page, you will be able to view all the returns filed by you. You will be able to download ITR-V Acknowledgement, uploaded JSON (from the offline utility), complete ITR form in PDF, and intimation order (by using the options on the right-hand side).
- Click View Details to view the life cycle of the return and action items related to it (e.g., returns pending for e-Verification).
ITR status shows the current status/stage of your filed ITR. Once your ITR has been filed, you may check if it has been accepted and processed by the Income Tax Department. In certain cases where some discrepancies are found, you may need to respond to the communication from the ITD. Hence, it is advisable to periodically check your ITR status.
No, ITR status can be checked pre-login as well as post-login. You can avail additional information like downloading the return / intimation if you check your ITR status post-login.
No, you can use any valid mobile number to view your ITR status without logging in. However, you need to enter the valid ITR acknowledgement number if you are using this service without logging in.
If I have filed a revised return, do I need to e-verify the original return or the previous return as well?
If you are filing a revised return, you can only verify the latest revised return. If the previous versions of revised returns or original return is not verified, it will ve deemed to be invalid and won’t be processed by the ITD.
e-verification using Aadhaar OTP is the most widely used and fastest method to verify your return.
I had filed and e-verified my return in November 2021. I still haven’t received my refund and got the same email. Do I need to do anything? and how long until I get my refund?
In case you have successfully e-verified the return, you do not need to worry and can ignore the email.
Usually, the refund takes 6-9 weeks from the ITR being processed. However, it may vary based on the case-to-case basis.
You can track your refund using this tool
Hope this helps
You can track you refund using this tool
No. There is no need to e-verify the ITR filed in response to defective return notice.
Continue the conversation on TaxQ&A
2 more replies