Search GSTIN and Taxpayer Details by PAN on GST Portal
GST Number or the GSTIN (GST Identification Number) is a unique number issued to a business registered under GST. GSTIN is a 15 digit number allotted on the basis of the PAN of the business. The “Search by PAN” function allows an individual to view the details of the registered taxpayer. An individual can either log in to the portal or use this function without logging in to the portal. However, the results in both cases are different. Additional details are given when the individual logs in to the portal.
GST portal allows searching the GST Number or GSTIN of an entity using its PAN.
Follow this Step-by-step guide to search GSTIN of a business using GST Portal:
In Case of Pre-Login
Step 1: Go to the GST Portal
Step 2: Navigate to Search Taxpayer > Search by PAN
Step 3: Enter the PAN (Permanent Account Number) of the business
Step 4: Interpret and enter the CAPTCHA code and click on search
Step 5: A list of GST Numbers or GSTINs associated with the PAN is displayed with the details of the state of registration and the status
Step 6: If there is no GSTIN issued on the entered PAN, or if the PAN entered for GSTIN check is incorrect, in that case, an error message is displayed
In Case of Post-Login
There are various details that are displayed post log in which aren’t available before logging in to the GST Portal. These details are mentioned below:
- Name of the Proprietor / Director(s)/ Promoter(s)
- Address of Principal Place of Business (Contact details will be displayed post-login)
- Additional Place of Business
- Nature of additional place of business
The procedure to search for these details after logging in to the GST Portal are as follows:
- Step 1: Firstly, log into the GST Portal using valid credentials.
- Step 2: Secondly, click on Search Taxpayer > Search by PAN
- Step 3: Under the PAN field, enter the PAN number of the taxpayer whose details are required.
- Step 4: Click on “Search.”
The search result is as follows:
- Step 5: Click on any of the GSTIN /UIN of the taxpayer for more information.
Additionally, more details can be viewed by clicking on the “Place of Business” option.
1. Can I search for GST Number or GSTIN using the legal name of the business?
Only by using the PAN GST Numer or GSTIN can be searched. GSTIN cannot be searched using the legal name or any other detail of the business. On the other hand, if you have a GSTIN, you can verify the details of the business using the GSTIN.