Revised Return due to TDS Mismatch

Once the assessee files the Income Tax Return, the income tax department may issue a notice for various reasons. One of these reasons is the difference in the amount of TDS as per Income Tax Return and TDS as per Form 26AS. Moreover, it reflects the gross amount of income, amount of TDS deducted and the section under which TDS is deducted. When there is a difference in the amount of income as per ITR and gross amount as per the Tax Credit Statement Form, you will receive a notice for the mismatch. The assessee should rectify the TDS mismatch and file a Revised Return under section 139(5).

Review Income Tax Notice
Take help of an expert to review income tax notice and submit response on income tax e-filing portal
[Rated 4.8 stars by customers like you]
Review Income Tax Notice
Take help of an expert to review income tax notice and submit response on income tax e-filing portal
[Rated 4.8 stars by customers like you]


  • Salary Income as per Schedule S of ITR = INR 16,25,274
  • TDS under Sec 192 as per Tax Credit Statement = INR 16,44,874
  • The difference in the gross amount as per Tax Credit Statement and the Salary as per ITR = INR 19,600
  • You will receive notice u/s 143(1)(a)(vi) for the error – Mismatch in Form 16/26AS/16A and ITR
  • If you agree to the mismatch, you must file revised return under section 139(5) after rectifying the error or mistake made in the ITR

Prepare and File Revised Return for TDS mismatch

Given below is the procedure to file the revised return for mismatch in TDS:

  1. Download Utility

    Therefore, download the latest java or excel utility of the applicable ITR form the income tax e-filing website.

  2. Open the .XML file

    Open the .xml file of the original return in the utility.

  3. Tab – Part A General

    Under the tab ‘Part A – General’, move to section ‘Filing Status’. Enter the following details:
    a. Filed u/s – Select 139(5)-Revised Return
    b. If revised/defective/modified enter Receipt No – Enter the Acknowledgement Number of ITR-V of the Original Return
    c. Date of filing the original return (DD/MM/YYYY) – Enter the date on which the original return was filed

  4. Schedule Salary

    Under the tab ‘Schedule S’, enter the Salary details with the breakdown of Basic Salary, Allowances, Perquisites, Exempt Allowances, Entertainment Allowance and Professional Tax

  5. Schedule TDS

    Under tab ‘TDS’, move to sections TDS1 i.e. Details of Tax Deducted at Source from Salary [As per Form 16 issued by Employer(s)]. Edit the details of TDS – enter the gross amount as per the Tax Credit Statement in column 4 (income chargeable under Salaries)

  6. Recalculate and Save

    Click on ‘Recalculate’ in the top row and then click on ‘Save’ to generate the XML.

  7. Upload XML

    Upload the XML on the income tax website. Login to your account on the income tax portal.
    Go to e-File > Income Tax Return, enter the required details, upload the XML and submit.


What happens if I don’t respond to my income tax notice?

There is no way to reply after the time limit is over. The link for e-proceedings gets closed. If you do not respond to the notice within the allowed time limit, the income tax department will process the return after making an adjustment of the demand raised with the TDS credit available. They may also issue another notice to pay the outstanding demand.
The assessee can submit a Condonation Request on the income tax portal to borrow time for filing Revised Return. They need to provide a valid reason for the delay in filing ITR.

How do I correct a tax credit mismatch?

In case you received a notice from the Income Tax Department regarding a Tax Credit Mismatch, you will need to respond to it through the e-Filing portal by choosing the ‘Taxpayer is correcting data for Tax Credit Mismatch only’ under the options and fill in the relevant details.

Got Questions? Ask Away!

  1. Hey @TeamQuicko

    Can I file a revised return even after I have received a refund?

  2. Hey @HarshitShah

    Yes, you can revise your return and carry forward the trading losses even if ITR is processed and refund is received.

    Hope this helps!

  3. Hey @HarishMehta

    Yes, ITR is mandatory to file when you had done transactions in the respective financial year. If there are losses, you don’t have to pay Income Tax, but transactions have to be reported in ITR.

  4. Hey Team, do I need to e-verify Belated Return??

  5. Hey @TanyaChopra

    Yes, you need to e-verify the Belated Return filed after the due date. It will not be processed by the IT Department unless it is e-verified.

    You can refer to the below article to understand how to file and e-verify Belated ITR.

    Do let us know in case you have any further queries!

  6. Hey @Shweta_Saini

    Yes. As per the amendment in Budget 2016, you can now file Revised Return u/s 139(5) for a Belated Return u/s139(4) from AY 2018-19.

    Hope this helps!

  7. Hey @Rakesh_Sharma

    Speculative Business Losses can be carried forward for 4 years and Non-Speculative Business Losses and Capital Gains Loss can be carried forward for 8 years.

    Hope this helps!

  8. Hey Team, good day!

    What are the consequences if I do not show Trading Transactions in ITR?

    Thanks in advance!

  9. Hi @riya_gupta,

    There is an exchange of data between the broker and the ITD. Even if you do not show in ITR, the ITD has a watch on the transactions. You might receive a notice from the ITD for the discrepancy between data with ITD and reported data in ITR. This may result in penalties.

  10. Hello, So if I file a revised return, I’ll be eligible to carry forwarding losses. When can i set them off. and also if are any other benefits I am not aware off?
    I am new to filing returns hence such basic questions.

Continue the conversation on TaxQ&A

18 more replies