The taxpayer can verify the authenticity of the PAN online on the Income Tax e-Filing Portal. Individuals can also verify the details on someone else’s behalf given they have all the required details. Banks and other organizations use the bulk PAN card verification facility through API (Application Programming Interface) to check whether your PAN details are authentic and if the PAN card is active or not.
PAN is a unique identification number provided to all eligible taxpayers. There are many situations where one might need to verify a PAN:
- An employer needs to verify his/her employee’s PAN for the purpose of TDS
- Deductor needs to verify deductees PAN for the purpose of TDS
- Financial Institutions need to verify PAN to verify taxpayers identity
- Credit Agencies need to verify PAN to verify taxpayers identity
- A tenant may need to verify the Landlord’s PAN
- Property buyer may need to verify Property seller’s PAN for the purpose of TDS
Steps for PAN card Verification Online on the Income Tax e-Filing Portal
- Visit the Income Tax Portal
Visit the Income Tax e-Filing Portal. Scroll down and click on the option “Verify Your PAN”
- Enter required details
Enter your PAN number, date of birth, full name and mobile number and then click on continue.
- Enter OTP
Enter the OTP you received on the mobile number you had entered.
- Success Message
Finally, you will receive the message which states whether your PAN is active or inactive and if the details entered by you are as per the PAN.
Hence, the result will be displayed in the following manner depending upon the order of the data entered. Hence, the details entered in the empty fields should be in the same order as that displayed on the PAN.
The Income Tax Department (ITD) is very strict about unauthorized access to PAN data. However, under a valid use case, one can use services available through the income tax website.
– Screen-based Verification: The users, after login, can furnish up to a maximum of five PANs in the screen provided. The PANs may be entered into the boxes provided on the screen. The response giving details of PAN will be displayed in the response screen.
– File and Screen-based Verification: The users, after login, can upload a file containing a maximum of 1000 PANs (file structure as specified by NSDL e-Gov). In case, file format is incorrect, the system will convey the rejection. The entity can download a response regarding acceptance/rejection of the file at his convenience for up to 10 days.
– Software (API) based PAN verification: The facility is an interface that allows the user to make an online verification of PAN by accessing the verification-site through a software application.
Follow these steps to check the status of linking your PAN and Aadhaar.
– Visit the Income Tax e-Filing Portal.
– Enter PAN and Aadhar Details
– Click on ‘View Link Aadhaar Status