Form 10BA : Claim Deduction under section 80GG

What is Form 10BA?

Form 10BA is a declaration to be filed by a taxpayer who wants to claim deduction under section 80GG for rent paid on rental property. In order to claim deduction u/s 80GG following two conditions should be satisfied:

  1. ​The taxpayer should not be receiving HRA from an employer AND,
  2. ​The taxpayer, his spouse, minor child or if the assessee is a member of HUF, then the HUF should not own any self-occupied residential accommodation.

If both the above conditions are satisfied, then the taxpayer can submit a declaration in Form 10BA. A taxpayer should submit Form 10BA before filing ITR.

Other important ITR documents include: Form 16, Form 26AS, Form 12BB, Form 15G & Form 15H.

  • Taxpayer’s Name and PAN,
  • Address of rental property,
  • Rent paid,
  • Name and Address of Landlord.
Need help with filing Form 10BA?
Let our experts file it for you.
[Rated 4.8 stars by customers like you]
Need help with filing Form 10BA?
Let our experts file it for you.
[Rated 4.8 stars by customers like you]


During FY 2019-20, Arun was employed for the first 6 months and after that, he started doing freelancing work. Arun stayed at rented premises during the entire year. During his employment he received HRA. He does not own any self-occupied house property.

In the above scenario, Arun is eligible to claim deduction under section 80GG and can file Form 10BA for the last 6 months’ rent paid by him. Since he was not receiving any house rent allowance during that time and he did not own any self-occupied property.

How to submit Form 10BA?

A taxpayer has to submit the form online from his/her e-filing account on IT Department website.

  1. Go to the Income Tax e-Filing Portal

    Log in to the e-filing account from the e-filing portal.

  2. Navigate to e-file > Income Tax Forms

    It is right next to the My Account tab.

  3. Select FORM NO. 10BA from the drop-down, select the relevant Assessment Year

    Select Submission Mode as Prepare and Submit Online and click Continue.

  4. Enter the details like Name of Landlord, Details of Rent Paid etc.

    Preview and submit

What are the details required in Form 10BA?

Following details are required:

It is advisable to submit Form 10BA before filing income tax return and claiming deduction under section 80GG.


Can I claim a deduction on rent paid if House Rent Allowance forms part of my salary?

No. As per primary conditions, you can not claim a deduction on rent paid if you receive an allowance from your employer. In this case, only HRA is allowed as deduction.

I am a freelance and I stay in rented premises, can I claim a deduction under section 80GG and file Form 10BA?

Yes, you can file Form 10BA. Provided you, your spouse, a minor child or your HUF does not own any self-occupied residential accommodation.

When can I claim deduction under section 80GG?

You can claim deduction u/s 80GG while filing your ITR. However, Form 10BA needs to be filed before filing ITR.

Got Questions? Ask Away!

  1. Hey @Rachit_Awasthi ,

    Yes, you can claim a deduction for both.

    • Home loan principal repayment u/s 80C up to INR 1,50,000. You can claim the home loan principal repayment up to the amount you repay. If it is partly paid by your wife, you can claim deduction only for the amount you paid

    • Rent if you receive HRA or u/s 80GG if you do not receive HRA

    Hope this helps!