The generator of the EWB can cancel the EWB if the transportation of the goods is not as per the details. Hence, it is important to note that:
- The generator of the e-Way bill can cancel the EWB.
- The time limit to cancel the EWB is of 24 hours from the time of generating the EWB
- It is illegal to use a canceled EWB
- It is not possible to cancel the e-Way bill after it is verified by any empowered officer.
Steps to Cancel the e-Way Bill
- Visit the EWB portal
Therefore, visit the e-Way Bill Portal and log in to your account. Navigate to e-Way Bill > Cancel
- Enter the EWB number
Hence, enter the e-Way Bill number in the respective field and click on “Go.”
- Reason for cancellation
Additionally, the selected EWB appears. Thus, provide a suitable reason for cancellation.
The e-Way Bill can be canceled by the generator of the EWB within 24 hours of generating the EWB.
In case e – way bill is generated but no movement of goods took place, it may be canceled within 24 hours from the time of its generation. However, if the same is not canceled within 24 hours, then the system would not allow the cancellation by the consignor. Therefore, in all these cases, one can request the recipient to Reject the e-Way Bill at his end in the common portal within 72 hours of its generation.
E-Way Bill under GST seeks that the details of e -Way Bill to be communicated to the recipient for his acceptance or rejection. Moreover, in the event of the same not being accepted/rejected within 72 hours, the same shall be deemed accepted. Hence, the time limit for cancellation stands on two points
1. Either it is canceled before 24 hours of such EWB generation but before it is verified in transit or,
2. It is canceled by way of a request to recipient to whom the communication about the generation of EWB has been communicated by asking to reject such e way bill wrongly generated but before 72 hours of such EWB generation.