Income Tax Department provides Java and Excel utility to prepare and e-file your income tax return. Every year, the Income Tax Department releases updated ITR wise utilities that contain the latest changes to the ITR Forms. E-filing has become easier and faster since the introduction of Java-based utilities.
Steps to Download Income Tax Return Utility
- Visit the Income Tax e-Filing website
Go to the Income Tax e-Filing website and click on the offline utility option
- Download the appropriate utility
Go to Income Tax Return Preparation Utilities and select the assessment year and download ITR Utility. ITR Utilities are in JAVA and Excel Format.
- Extract the files
You need to have a java runtime environment to unzip the utility.
Windows users can run .jar or .bat file to open the utility. Whereas Linux/Mac OS users will have to run the only .jar file to open the utility.
Follow the steps below to prepare and file Income Tax Return using Java Utility
- Open the utility and add all the required details.
- Once all the basic details are filled, add the income details in respective schedules and TDS and Advance Tax details.
- Validate the return prepared. If there are any errors then the error message will be shown. Fix the errors first then and only then you will be able to file your ITR.
- Once validation is done successfully, click on Save to generate an XML file of a prepared return. You can save the XML file at your desired location.
- Once XML is saved, log in to your account on Income Tax e- Filing Website.
- Go to E-file > Income Tax Return,
- Select the appropriate Assessment Year and ITR Form Type,
- Select Filing Type as Original/ Revised Return and Upload XML under the submission mode,
- Choose an option for verification of return, and click on continue
- Choose the saved XML File, and click on Submit.
- An email confirmation will be sent to you once the return is submitted.
- Or you can click on the Submit button from JAVA Utility to upload the XML in the e-filing portal. You need to provide your e-filing credentials, User ID, Password, and DOB/DOI. Post submission, the success message, and the acknowledgment number will be displayed. In order to use this feature internet connection is a must.
Follow the steps below to prepare and file Income Tax Return (ITR) using Excel Utility
- Enter all the required information manually along with income details schedules and taxes.
- Once you have filled in all the information, click on validate. If there are any errors, it will be shown in a pop-up window. Make sure there are no errors before you generate an XML file.
- Unlike Java utility, there is no submit option in excel utility. You will have to click on Generate XML and save the XML file on your system.
- Once you have saved the file, login to your e-Filing account on Income Tax e-Filing website
- Go to e-File > Income Tax Return,
- Select Filing Type and the ITR Form Name and Assessment Year from the drop-down list. Select the appropriate option of verification and click on continue,
- Click on choose file and select the .xml file from the location where you have saved it.
- You can opt to digitally sign the return if you have registered your DSC USB token,
- Upon successful submission of the return, you will receive a confirmation email on your email id along with acknowledgment.
No, it is not compulsory to file the return using the IT Department Utility. A taxpayer can file ITR using following options:
1. File online through Incometaxindiaefiling website,
2. Prepare and file ITR through the IT Department’s Utility,
3. File online through E-Return Intermediary like Quicko.
Yes, the IT department allows you to download the ITR preparation utility for previous years as well. All you have to do is go to the Income Tax e-Filing website and download utility.