Application for Correction/Change in TAN on TIN NSDL

The Payer/ Deductor can make change/correction in TAN details online through TIN NSDL. The deductor can make changes by filing “Form for Changes or Correction in TAN data for TAN allotted” for the following:

  • Change in address within the same state,
  • Contact Details Change, 
  • Change in details of Responsible Person, 

Moreover, a physical acknowledgment, along with proof should be submitted within 15 days of the online submission.

Steps to Apply for Correction/Change in TAN

  1. Visit the TIN-NSDL portal

    Select the “TAN” option from the “Services” drop-down on the dashboard

  2. Click on the “Apply Online” option

    Choose the “Change/Correction” option from the drop-down list

  3. Scroll down to the “Apply for Changes or Corrections in TAN data” section

    Select the Category of Deductor from the drop-down list and click on the “Select” option

  4. Enter the mandatory details in the form

    Enter the TAN number, Contact details, Address details, and click on the check-box located on the left side of the margin to mark the section that requires a change or correction.

  5. Click on the “Submit” option located at the bottom of the page.

    Once the form is filled out and Checked.

  6. Make Payment for an application

    There are 5 options for payment available i.e, Debit Card, Credit Card, UPI, Internet Banking, BharatQR.

Therefore, after completing the above process, your application for correction or change in TAN will be submitted.

Check TAN Application Status
Check your TAN Status online. TAN (Tax Account Number) is a unique 10 digit issued by the Income Tax Department. Get TAN status, name, application type.
Check TAN Application Status
-Check your TAN Status online. TAN (Tax Account Number) is a unique 10 digit issued by the Income Tax Department. Get TAN status, name, application type.


Do I have to inform the Income Tax Department (ITD) or apply for a new TAN if I have changed my address?

The change of address within the jurisdiction does not change the TAN. However, it may involve a change in the Assessing Officer (AO). Therefore, such changes must be intimated to the ITD via change/ correction for filing. In case of a change in the state of the deductor, a new TAN needs to be allotted and the previous TAN needs to be surrendered.

What needs to be shown as proof of TAN in case one has lost the TAN allotment letter?

The printout of the webpage showing the details of the TAN from the Income Tax Department (ITD) website can serve as proof of TAN.

How can I change my address in TAN?

Address in TAN doesn’t change if an Individual has changed his/her address with the AO’s jurisdiction. However, it may require a change in Assessing Officer (AO)

Got Questions? Ask Away!

  1. Hello @Sofiyah_Valiante ,

    The Payer/Deductor can use the 14-digit acknowledgment number to check TAN status on TIN NSDL. The status of the TAN application reflects after 3 days of submitting the Application for the TAN.

    There are 3 ways to view the status on TIN NSDL:

    1. Using the track status facility of TIN NSDL
    2. By Calling the TIN-FC Call Center,
    3. By sending an SMS to the TIN NSDL number

    Hope this helps!