Advance Tax Payment Procedure Online on TIN-NSDL

Advance tax is the income tax payable if your tax liability exceeds INR 10,000 in a financial year and it should be paid in the year in which the income is earned. It is also called the ‘pay-as-you-earn’ scheme. It is required to be paid at quarterly intervals. The advance tax due dates for payment is on the 15th of each quarter-end.

Advance Tax Filing (Quarterly)
CA Assisted Advance Tax calculation and payment for Individuals and businesses with tax payable more than INR 10,000 after TDS deducted
[Rated 4.8 stars by customers like you]
Advance Tax Filing (Quarterly)
CA Assisted Advance Tax calculation and payment for Individuals and businesses with tax payable more than INR 10,000 after TDS deducted
[Rated 4.8 stars by customers like you]

There are two methods for payment of Advance Tax:

  • Online via TIN NSDL.
  • Offline via Bank Branch.

Steps for Online Payment of Advance Tax

  1. Aceess the TIN NSDSL e-payment Portal.

    Visit the TIN NSDL e-payment portal and Select Challan 280.

  2. Select the tax applicable and Payment Type.

    Select the Tax Applicable as (0021) Income Tax (Other than Companies). Later select Type of payment as (100) Advance Tax.

  3. Select Mode of Payment and name of Bank.

    Next, select the mode of payment from the different options and the name of your Bank.

  4. Enter the Details asked.

    Enter PAN and Other Details including your email Id and contact number.

  5. Select the Assessment Year.

    After selecting the Assessment Year, enter captcha and click on Proceed.

  6. Click on “Submit to the bank”.

    Verify the details that were entered and Click Submit.

  7. Now you can login to the net banking account of your bank to make the payment.

    Once you make the payment you will get challan counterfoil with Bank details. Save it for future reference.

Steps for payment of Advance Tax Offline

  1. Visit the bank branch and ask for the applicable tax payment challan form-Challan 280 (in this case).
  2. Fill in the details as required in the form. The details asked in the form are the same as required in the online form.
  3. Go to the relevant bank’s counter and submit the filled-in Challan 280 form along with the money. The tax payment can be made either in cash or cheque.
  4. Once you give the money and challan and the bank official will give you a receipt by tearing off a portion of the challan, filling in details of payment, and stamping it.
Tax Hacks 102: Advance Tax
View Blog
Tax Hacks 102: Advance Tax
View Blog

Once you have completed your advance tax payment by either the online or offline method, you should keep the receipts safely as proof of payment. It can approximately take up to 10 days to reflect in your Form 26AS. Your income tax payment should show in your Form 26AS Component ‘Part C – Details of Tax Paid’.


I forgot to save my Challan for tax payment, what should I do?

You can know details of Advance tax paid from your Form 26AS. Hence download Form 26AS from the income tax e-filing portal and show the same in your ITR.

What should I do if my bank does not have an online payment facility or is not an authorised bank for E-Tax ?

In case your bank does not have an online payment facility or is not an authorized bank then you can make electronic payment of tax from the account of any other person who has an account with the authorized bank having online facility.

What if my account gets debited twice for the Advance tax payment?

You should contact your Bank and ask for correction for double payment made for Advance tax.

Got Questions? Ask Away!

  1. Hey @TeamQuicko

    I have LTCG of more than 7 lakhs from the equity for this year. Is there a way to reduce my tax liability? Also, do I have to pay the tax in advance? If I fail to do so, what will be the penalty/interest percentage I have to pay during my tax filing in 2020?

  2. Hi @vivek25,

    You are liable to pay advance tax if your total outstanding tax liability for the financial year after TDS is above INR 10,000.

    To calculate your advance tax liability you need to add your estimated income for the financial year from all sources including - Salary, House Property, Capital Gains, Business & Profession and other sources.
    Next, subtract all eligible deductions, expenses, and Tax Credit available to you.
    Now, if your outstanding tax liability is above INR 10,000, you need to pay advance tax to avoid penalty u/s 234B and 234C.

    Hope this answers your query

    You can also use the advance tax calculator to know your advance tax liability under the old and new tax regime

  3. Hi
    When I pay the advance tax through the ZERODHA-QUICKO platform, does it get saved/stored? For example I have paid for Q1. so when I have to pay for Q2, will this be automatically calculated?

  4. I have paid the Advance tax of Q1, but didn’t received any email from income tax portal! So, Is that normal? I received the Challan No. receipt, but no email from IT portal!

  5. Hey @Gaurav,

    Once you pay the Advance Tax, you have an option to download the challan. In case you missed downloading it, the tax credit for the same will be reflected in your Form 26AS.

  6. Hey Girimon_Vasudevan,

    When you pay advance tax through our tax planner app, you should download the challan and then you
    need to add the it the advance tax toggle under the tax credits in the tax planner tab to see your tax credits reflected in the appropriate quarter.

  7. @Nireka
    Thanks. I have done it for the current year.
    I did not do it for the last year. How can I add it now?

  8. Hi @Girimon_Vasudevan,

    If you missed paying advance tax last year, then the interest penalty may be applicable u/s 234B & 234C.
    You can pay that as along with your self-assessment tax the filing your Income Tax Return

  9. Sorry, I didn’t miss the payment. I missed to add it in the tax credit on your portal. I am unable to add it now.

  10. @Girimon_Vasudevan, once you login to the Tax Planner navigate to Tax Planner > Income Situation > Tax Credits to add the tax credits.

    If you face any issue can write to us at and our team will be happy to assist you.

Continue the conversation on TaxQ&A

12 more replies